Chapter 36: I Am...

I didn't get the chance to write my will. Well, I didn't have to in the end, but I was seriously considering it.

     Kitri had woke up after a few minutes sleep, after I applied a bit of healing magic that made him feel vitalized and woke him up. He frowned as he got his bearings, yawning and sitting up while rubbing his eyes and orienting himself. This all happened during the time Fang was stunned, so he got up without any worries.

     Cold sweat was running down my back as I struggled to come up with an explanation, an apology, anything to say to Kitri since I didn't know how he would react about earlier. Our spar hadn't turned out to be much of a spar since I had the overwhelming advantage of being underestimated, even the slightest bit, and in possession of a large mana pool. Even now it was recovering, and I hadn't even used up one fourth of it during this whole time.

     Heck, I leveled up from 6 to 12 because of that battle and got a few skills easily along the way. My rank became E, and my MP total rose again in an increment much larger than the other times it rose in one leap. It became 8,999...

     Hmmm...

     No comment.

     Once Kitri saw what was going on, he understood and patted me on the head with a bright smile, making me confused.

     "You're not angry at me...?"

     "Why would I be?" He answered lightheartedly.

     "Because I could've killed you...?"

     "I went at you with intent to kill first, so it was natural that you would retaliate. Besides, it was fun! I didn't know you were that strong! Let's do it again sometime!" He smiled while grabbing my hand and shaking it happily, confusing the people on the outside. Kitri recognized we were in a barrier and that we couldn't be heard, so he asked, "Can you disperse this?"

     I was about to nod, until I thought about the consequences for myself and decided to just remove the soundproof quality. Also, I shrunk it down so that it covered my body like clothes and excluded Kitri, keeping it so that I couldn't be hurt. It was meant to deflect anything outside and be impenetrable, so it was the best armor anyone could find around here. I didn't hesitate to pour in 70 MPs when noticing the flames of cold fury simmering in Fang's eyes, which I could only glance at every few seconds.

     "That's better," Kitri stood up and dusted off his clothes, wings shaking a bit as they folded against his back. "So, how are you Lawrence? I haven't had the chance to meet you in a long time and I've been pretty preoccupied so far. How're things?" Kitri's natural aloofness came back to him and the impatient, cold hunter I had met before was nowhere to be found.

     Lawnrence's jaw slackened a little as he tilted his head, sputtering just a bit, "G-Good..."

     "And Katerine, how're you?" Kitri turned those lady-killing eyes towards Katerine's dark blue ones, making her cheeks blush before she put her head down and answered the same way.

     It felt odd to see that, but I promptly ignored it as she glared at me again.

     The pleasantries went on as Kitri swept everyone around him into a mood of calm and peace. Only Fang was unaffected as he reached down faster than anyone could react, grabbing me by the throat since my clothes couldn't be grabbed, and holding me high up in the air.

     "How dare you..." he muttered with distaste, grip tightening.

     People gasped when they assumed I couldn't breathe, but I simply put a step in the air beneath my feet so I wouldn't choke and drew in small breaths. The only thing that hurt was the tightening grip on my throat, which only started to scare me when my barrier made disturbing cracking sounds.