Chapter 165: Only For Magaris

Aaaaaand we're back.

     Kiki was right. I really couldn't finish anything I started. All of my plans fell through halfway, for some reason or another. I couldn't find Chord when I wanted to find Chord, ask Martin about Lady Elizabeth when I wanted to ask about Lady Elizabeth, teach the earl a lesson when I wanted to teach him a lesson, see or stop a Demon summoning when I wanted to see or stop a Demon summoning, or punish apostles for stealing "my" name when they stole my name.

     Can this year just end already so I can start anew?

     A little over a month left, Master, and so much to do before it's over.

     Agh...

     "Oh, M-Master Earl, hello...there."

     "Magaris!"

     "I apologize for the intrusion so late at night-"

     "You're alright? You're really alright?"

     "Yes, Madame, I'm fine. Thank you for your concern."

     It sounded like she'd hopped up from where she sat on the sofa so fast that books toppled over, and she went to approach, until she saw me. My kimono stuck out quite a bit, but Magaris' presence was quite overpowering, given the fact that she'd been gone for months with a certain MIA status...

     "Sit, sit, please. I have so much to ask about."

     "The night is late, so I thought we wouldn't intrude for long...Kiki - or, Fir's familiar, should be picking us up soon."

     "There's still no reason to stand, and we were going to be up late anyway."

     "Ana, Magaris might be tired."

     "O-Oh, that's right, I'm sorry. I'm just so used to seeing people milling about at night now, since Earl is up all the time..."

     "It's fine. I'm somewhat of a night owl myself, these days."

     I tried desperately not to snort. Magaris, a night owl? Going to bed four hours before midnight was what it took to be a night owl?

     Unless, of course, she was talking about me taking her off to other parts of the world where it was night, like with Newone.

     "I see...someone is already fast asleep."

     "She was...just awake, earlier."

     "..."

     "..."

     "..."

    What an awkward silence.

     But while noting it, I didn't do anything about it. They made it themselves, they'd fix it themselves. That's what adults did, right?

     "I talked to Thérèse earlier. She's at the de Coccinelle estate, these days."

     "Martin told us. Well, she told Martin, then Martin told us. Besides that, we didn't know."

     "Thérèse told you?"

     "Oh, no, she did."

     I was sure there was a finger pointed at my back, but I didn't care. Melting over Magaris was my priority at that moment, not listening to stagnant conversation.

     "I'm not too aware of what she does these days. Just when I think I know one thing, I find out about ten other things she did in the span of a few hours, over the course of a twenty minute dinner, before she's off and at it again. I thought I had a good handle of her when we were here, but clearly, that was not the case."