Chapter 37: No Rest For the Wicked

For a few days, all I did was fly. I went in one straight direction, the opposite of the one I had gone before. When I first found the ocean, I had gone east of the caves, towards what I knew as the other side of the Larjulias Passage. This time I was traveling southwest towards Bytriste, the only things in my path being ocean and the corner of Larjulias, and more ocean that stretched for a long distance across.

     My journey took me straight through the nights and days, and I was a Vampire as I flew so that anything coming at me would stay away, my MP was always at full power because of the amazing healing abilities, and I wouldn't feel hunger.

     Thirst was always a constant problem, but that was easily solved after taking large amounts of salt water and working some desalinization and purification magic on it.

     The sky was beautiful during night and day, and I was never bored. I couldn't afford to be, because if I lost awareness I could crash and drown in the ocean from high airspace, or be attacked when I least expected it. Also, I didn't want to lose my direction, which I had drawn out with a string of mana I had casted ahead beforehand. It was like shooting an arrow, and then following the path of the rope you tied on it.

     At night, there were wondrous things going on compared to the calm or sometimes choppy waters in the day. The sea changed color from dark, murky blue to a blazing and stunning yellow. It was as if there were spotlights placed on the seafloor shining up and swirling around, making the water glow with rays of lights touching the sky. The sea version of the aurora borealis, I would say.

     The shimmering wasn't systematic, and showed each and every creature resting inside. They changed the flow of the water and made the gold water teem with life, just brushing a fingertip through it made spots of gold swirl around like glitter.

     The sky became somehow darker, giving the spotlight and main role of attraction to the sea for the night. The stars shone brighter and bigger than on Earth, and I couldn't find a single similar constellation. Hencia, reaching towards the other side of the sky again, was huge as well, giving off the fantasy feeling of being so close you could touch it.

     There were main large craters on it, one particular hole covering at least one third of the surface. Right next to that hole was a large gouge in it, like someone was trying to slice it in two. The inside of the moon was seen, a deep orange glow emanating like lava from an underwater volcano.

     I went through many nights like this, until I saw land for the first time three days later. I assumed it was the corner of Larjulias I had been flying towards, after seeing the forests and jungles from the distance. Nature was quiet there, lying down for the night. The forest was full of green and blue and yellow, which seemed to be the standard colors of nature here.

     The animals, which I wouldn't have been able to spot without [Radar] as a human, blended in with the trees and ground, making me wonder how many there were on this small part of the land. The whole thing stretched far into the distance so that you couldn't even see the other side by far, and since my "rope" extended over this I flew down that path, just over the tree tops.

     I started to notice something, after a while. While I was over the ocean, there was no other living being going in my direction at a constant speed except for me. Now, I could sense that there were many things following me. They were in front and behind, all heading in the same direction as me. I couldn't see them anywhere no matter how much I tried to find them, making me think they were adept at hiding and camouflage since even my eyes couldn't pick them up. [Radar] could find them, and they were just a few feet on every side of me. It was ridiculous.

     There were so many that I was starting to wonder if I was blind since I couldn't detect them. I remembered seeing some some people-fairies, I'd assumed-at first, but for some reason I couldn't anymore.