Chapter 172: "Breakfast" With Grandparents

My sleep fighting abilities didn't appear to have dampened. I only found it unfortunate that my grandparents had taken me to bed with them, since they had the wonderful shock in the night of my punch blowing a hole through their wall as I turned over, exposing us to the winter cold until they woke me up out of my daze and I fixed it.

     "Ah...sorry...*yawn*...I still...sleep fight someti-"

     And I fell back to sleep as soon as the wall was repaired to be as immaculate as before.

     Their bed...it was really just so comfortable. I honestly didn't think mine could compare, and I'd made it with magic and used attributes spells that would've made it the most perfect bed ever. Back support, perfect height for the head, everything. It was even different in materials from head to toe, in temperature, in height. Rolling out of bed made it so much easier when the edges were rougher, to convince you to get up rather than stay there, and not let you back onto the soft middle parts.

     But there was just something about their bed that was different from mine. Sure, I hadn't gotten to sleep in my own bed yet...as far as I could remember, since I was always so tired and passing out wherever I went those days...but I had the feeling that something about theirs was just better.

     Warm...soft...alive.

     Of course it hit me only when my eyes opened the next morning. When I saw the empty space beside me, my hand darted out and grabbed onto the wrinkled sheets.

     "I see."

     It was so comfortable because...I wasn't alone.

     "Morning revelations, Granddaughter?"

     "Yes," I sat up, releasing the sheets and looking back down at my hand. The warmth felt like it'd stuck to me from just touching the mattress a few moments. I frowned hard at it, flexing the fingers in and out. "Your bed is more comfortable than mine."

     "I would have never assumed it to be possible that our belongings might have a higher preference than yours."

     "Hm." My gaze narrowed further, scooting for the edge of the bed. Grandfather was already dressed and eager to scoop me up, though I'd wanted to get off myself. His aura clearly told me, though I doubted he realized he was exuding the thought because he was too excited, that he was not letting me escape just yet. "I thought the same as well."

     "Granddaughter."

     "Hm?"

     "Your words."

     Was there something offensive...

     Master, you indirectly insulted their affluence.

     "Ah, I apologize, Grandmother. It was not my intent to indirectly insult your affluence."

     She was also ready for the morning, dressed in simple yellow and brown apparel, but one meant for home. I assumed she didn't have anywhere to go that morning, since they'd made such a fuss about me visiting and would surely stick around for as long as I was there.

     That was just the kind of doting grandparents they were.

     "As long as you are aware, Granddaughter. But it seems I must hurry with my search for an etiquette instructor-"

     I resisted clicking my tongue while curling into Grandfather's shoulder. Seriously? They're still going on about that?

     "Yes, she is serious. Do not shy away."