Chapter 55: Homecoming Accomplished...Or Not

That disturbance at the gate was something-rather, someone-I wouldn't have liked to see until I was sure he wasn't angry at me.

When I woke up the next day, having driven through the night, I found that I had been transferred over to Father's lap so that my head was there yet Mother had my legs. How...sweet?

As long as you don't share me by cutting me in half.

I heard the guards arguing and my ears pricked as I caught the words, a heated conversation. I got off my parents and stuck my head out the window to check for them, since I had been holding them down.

I guess I must've been leaking my thoughts because Mother figured out I could use telepathy and she was all excited, Father was a little shocked, but I simply face palmed.

FIREA! was broadcasted to anyone listening. It was fairly loud, so much that both Mother and I flinched, covering our ears.

I swear, the trees passing by our windows bent in the opposite direction to get away from the source of the telepathic message.

I groaned when I realized who had just yelled it, rubbing my face tiredly as I opened the door while the carriage was still going pretty fast, scaring my parents and the carriage driver when I jumped out and started flying.

Of course, I didn't get very far when I was knocked out of the air by a tackle. Such a tackle was expected, so I simply put up a barrier to keep us from crashing into a tree. I was sent back the way I came when I passed the opposite direction I took off in, in front of the door I hadn't gotten to close.

Mother looked at me with such a blank, shocked face that it strongly contrasted with what she screamed in her head.

FIR?!

Oh, my poor eardrums. Like the first one wasn't enough.

It's fine, Mother. I know who this is and will deal with him promptly.

It's a "him?!"

Yes. A friend. I'll be seeing you soon, just keep going home.

O-Okay. I want an explanation later, young lady!

Will do. Gotta go.

As soon as the barrier hit the tree, our momentum was gone.

"Kitri," I sighed, righting ourselves in the air, dusting myself off. Or at least, I tried to. He was holding me onto his chest way too tight. "Are you trying to kill me?"

"Why did you run off?!" He exclaimed, pulling back only the tiniest bit to look at my unamused and complicated face before rubbing his face on my hair. "We were worried so much!"

"Because I would have died if I stayed there any longer," I tried to say, but it was muffled in his shirt. Thank the Stars he had a shirt, sometimes he had been shirtless, much to my dismay...

"I would've protected you! With Lucia and Lawrence!"

"Against Tear Fang? Really?"

"I have a sizable influence there," he pouted a tiny bit, resorting to the not-so-mature mindset he'd had when we first met.

"One that I'm still waiting for you to tell me about," I countered, hands trying and failing to push away from his chest. We were still in the air, his wings keeping us floating.

...I only just noticed that I was not speaking my native language just now.

Why did I just notice that, now of all times?