Chapter 144: Magaris' Nightly Troubles

"And why are you telling me this?"

     As per usual, as it always was, like every day, without a single break in the loop, Magaris wondered if Kyryn was really just for show and if she was secretly in charge of things around there. Far from being the head maid or any sort of authoritative figure in the house, just a regular maid picked from a small army of them, it seemed that she somehow still held some sort of significance in the minds of others that couldn't be erased. It was a given, for sure, that one of Magaris' own charges - like Deena and Tanota - would come to report news to her that was of some importance, but even others would seek her out to inform her of the goings-on of activities unrelated to her.

     So while it might've been perfectly normal to anyone looking on from the outside to see a protege seeking out her superior to report important news in the house, to Magaris, it was strange. She couldn't help but stare down harshly at Deena, who instead watched Kyryn - the person Deena really should've gone to, seeing how by his surprised face it was news to him too - paused in the hallway as he had dismissed the maid. Magaris swallowed, staring back over her shoulder as Kyryn approached. The idea of trouble occurring, judging by the look on the footman's peeved expression, was more prominent by the second.

     Magaris turned her gaze back to Deena, berating the girl with a look and a thought. Deena swallowed, swollen cheeks clenching from the force of nervousness.

     "You," Kyryn approached, overlapping Magaris who stepped off to the side. Tensions were unusually high for a regular autumn season when nature and people began to rest more often, harvest season finishing itself off and people preparing for winter. Neither maid wanted to get on the bad side of actual authority, so of course the elder extricated herself from the situation. She'd already had a hard time trying to cut herself out of the picture Kyryn painted of her being involved in the disappearance of their master, aided by his knights. It likely seemed as if Magaris was just another gossiping maid if she was "making" her protege collect information for her. "What did you say?"

     Deena looked like a bear that had fallen off a tree and was stunned by her own mistake. "I-I-"

     "What priest? The one from Harsille? Priest Boff?"

     "Yes," came out breathlessly. A straight back didn't make the nervousness any less prevalent in her form. "He's requesting an audience with the lord."

     Kyryn turned slightly to look upon Magaris. His monocle made her feel scrutinized. "And you came to Magaris first to say this?"

"Y-Yes...?"

     Deena!

Whatever little bit of progress Magaris had made in convincing the footman she was not hiding anything from him, was lost.

"Why?"

"Why? Well...I always go to Magaris. She's my superior..."

"Just a maid, you said. No, Magaris," he looked down upon her, and it was clear that some sort of damage had been done from that expression. "Those words are quite different from what I see."

Ridicule. Consternation.

Scorn.

Kyryn deliberated for only a moment. Whatever was in his mind seemed to already be made up, and he hadn't questioned that much. Conclusions were already turning to stone behind that glass piece over his eye, which somehow allowed a fierce glare to conjure itself around the slim metal rims.

He began to walk. The hallway felt dim and dark as Magaris' thoughts clouded over, despite the pale yellow color of it and the brown furnishings that symbolized a period of bareness in the home even before it became devoid of life. The days when the madame would let her emotions control her magic weren't really that long ago.