Chapter 191: A "Welcome Back Breakfast"

It was hot. Too hot. And something felt like pressure on me. It was pleasant, yes, since I kind of liked being crushed...okay, that sounded weird, but I meant by my covers. If the blanket wasn't heavy enough, then I felt like I was cold. So the fact that I had a really heavy blanket on top of me made me feel extra toasty, besides the fact that I knew there was a fire going in there somewhere.

     "Mm..." I breathed in deeply, pressing out the breath all the way while stretching in place. My feet couldn't go very far, but my toes curled out and legs spread so I could take up more space on the bed. "Blood..."

     I could smell it. Even if it wasn't fresh, wasn't new, the scent of it was near and strong. It had a bit of a weird scent that made me feel like putting it in my mouth would taste terrible, but just smelling it already made me a slight bit hungry and happy.

     I yawned up to the ceiling, arm tingling above my head where it was thrown over the...pillows...?

     "..."

     Something cracked on my face when trying to pull my arm down to me. In fact, something also shifted on me when trying to shift in place myself.

     Oh, wood.

     My eyes struggled to open, blinking the dust away, before ultimately closing because it was getting in them. The canopy...

     "Hah..." I sighed, using a third eye to look down at the scene. "I really need to make more of those bracelets..."

     Stronger versions of the ones that Tear Fang made me go make to control my strength, so I stopped destroying things in my sleep. Not only the canopy, I realized, but also the ceiling had started...coming down...

     Wait a minute.

     With said third eye, not only did I see myself and a lot of the ceiling on me, but the earl. Father. Whatever.

     Awake, and staring upwards at the missing ceiling. Pieces were still raining down as if the sleep-fighting incident had just occurred only moments ago, which could've actually been the case.

     And he was bleeding. A chunk fell down from the canopy and got him in the head.

     But, he stayed perfectly still, not moving an inch.

     "...you're bleeding from your head."

     "I didn't want to wake you."

     What's wrong with you? Take care of yourself if you need to? What the stars?

     I sat up slowly from the bed even as something tried to push me down. Shaking dust out of my hair and cleaning my face, I looked down to see his hand there pushing into the depths of the kimono. "Earl...Father," I shook my head, struggling to get used to that again. "I wouldn't have left if you removed the debris..."

     His eyes slid over to me as I frowned back with my eyes.

     "And how was I supposed to know that?"

     "Because...we're having breakfast together."

     "And how was I supposed to know that?"

     I blinked. Oh, right. "We had that conversation as you slept, I forgot. I see. Well then-"

     I turned back around and stood up, intangible through his hand when he tried to force me back down again. Picking my phone up off the shelf, I clicked it on and checked the time.

     "It's time to go-"

     And then, like a zombie from the grave - or actually, like a...well, something faster than a zombie - the man flew upwards and about tackled me with his upper body, latching on tightly. I jumped when his forearm pressed the stake into my heart, gasping and definitely teleporting out of that grip.