Chapter 32: Devil On Your Shoulder

"Huh?"

    "I said, I wouldn't do that if I were you. It's carnivorous and will take off you hand if you touch it," the voice came out, warning me nonchalantly, like they didn't care if what they said came to pass. The boy was leaning against the tree while not caring about the rolling fruits on the ground, munching and opening their mouths as they went at him.

     "Uh...thanks," I said quizzically, pulling my hand back as it was snapped at. The fruit, violet and shaped like an eggplant, had ground razor sharp teeth in its front and opened the mouth to reveal an endless tunnel through the thick stem, then the branch, and into the trunk of the tree. "Ah..." I realized that one vine of the tree had wrapped around my torso, but I tugged at it with a bit of Vampire strength and it uncoiled as fast as possible, screeching through the fruit I was about to pick. [Presence Erase] was still enacted, so he didn't notice that I brought a different race other than human to the front for a split second.

     "Why are you here?" I was asked.

     "I was hungry," I shrugged, staying at my place in the air. I wasn't coming down to talk with an unworthy person like that. He didn't even help me when his own parents were scaring the crap out of me, not even knowing that I was an intelligent child that could get myself out of situations like that easily. If he was willing to leave a little scared child in a situation like that out of disinterest, there was something wrong with his morals. That was as bad to me as leaving a baby in the arms of a drug addict that would surely let it starve.

     Lawrence spoke up, "Then you should have eaten at the festival."

     "I wasn't at liberty to with your mother hugging me as tight as possible."

     "When you were with the spriggan, then."

     "He put me to sleep with a sneaky sleeping spell. I should get him back for that," I frowned, realizing I was toyed with too easily without anyone caring.

     "If you do that to him, his mother is likely to have you executed," Lawrence yawned while leaning against the tree again, hair looking orange in the moonlight.

     Never trust gingers. Even though he was a red head and only looked ginger because of the lighting. Sorry gingers. I'm actually almost ginger myself.

     That was something a good American friend had taught me that while I stayed with her for an exchange. Too bad I'll never meet her again, the farm girl was spunky and cute. I hope she got with her crush, since her love seemed closer to being fulfilled than Takuya's with me.

     Even thought that was all my fault.

     "Why would she do that?"

     "Because she's a mean old bitch," he scoffed while fingering a stone. He chucked it into the greenery and scared some nearby creature, but it ran away without a second thought.

     "That's quite a mouth you've got there," I rolled over on my air cushion, the same version as the one I used when Mother threw me into the sky. It was an automatic spell I used these days, since it was so comfy.

     "Well, you've got a great set of acting skills."

     "None of that distress was acting."

     "Really? 'Scary!'" he mimicked me when I looked at his father. One of the fruits rolled towards his leg, and just when it was about to bite him he kicked it away with enough force to make it splatter against a nearby tree. The others promptly rolled away from him.

     "He is, when you've been to hell and back and seen those types of eyes everywhere! And please, you hypocrite. I can see the fear in your eyes when you even glimpse his finger. And when you look into his eyes, you look like your soul is about to come out!" I snickered, rolling around again. He did look like he deserved a triangle on his forehead, like a Japanese ghost, whenever he looked at his father. It seemed like he thought he was as good as dead or something.