Chapter 84: A Time For Visiting Friends...Reluctantly

I'd gone to bed last night, a smile on my face as I thought about Courtney and Sarena. They weren't as bad as I thought they would be, or as evil. That was a really good thing, because that meant one less worry on my mind for when school came around.

     Of course, since I didn't like sudden betrayals, I would keep my eye on them. You know what they say, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. And since I hadn't determined what they were yet, they were placed somewhere in between that scale of being watched.

     I'd really enjoyed the festival after I got a maid to come with me, along with a guard as I was told to, and we had a blast. They had been awfully reserved at first, simply following behind, until I started treating them like friends. I bought them some things with the allowance Mother had allotted me, and they gradually opened up over the hour.

     There had been a large Demon summoning about to occur that my alarm warned me of, but after a quick run to the "restroom," everything was fine. I contacted the vice captain who really didn't want to work on his night off, and had him take care of the aftermath.

     "Do you ever rest?" he asked me over the telepathy device I'd given him.

     "Chill dude, I just happened to be in area," I shrugged as I watched them free all of the people that were about to be used as sacrifices. "And it's a good thing, too. It's just in time for them to go home."

     "So you do have a bit of compassion in your soul..."

     "Do you want me to prove those words wrong?" I fired off a ribbon that wrapped around his wrist hundreds of feet away. It was a warning, one he understood perfectly as he sighed and continued his job. Poor guy, couldn't even have the night off on the Blessed Day.

     However, none of that mattered to me now. I was swept away suddenly without a word of warning by someone I hadn't seen in years.

     Since the night I met Flo, that is.

     "Didn't I tell you to come back soon?!" Paivla knocked me on the head as I knelt before her throne.

     "It just didn't turn out that way!" I countered while rubbing my head. Unlike last time, I was in the form of Firea, with the same frilly and flowing white dress on that manifested as my consciousness. When I looked around, I found it was for good reason too.

    "Paivla, what is this?" someone asked off to my right. The Fae Queen did not sound happy. "Why is she here?"

     The rest, however, had more troubling problems.

     "What are we doing here?"

     "Where are we?"

     "It can't be...Paivla?"

     "A goddess?"

     "Why does everyone start talking when I'm about to start talking?" Paivla looks at the ceiling forlornly. "And it's the first congregation in many millennia, too. Where's the respect these days? Do they not uphold the laws of the world anymore?"

     "Apologies...Paivla," the first one who spoke, called out from behind me. I gulped at hearing her voice. It was not that she scared me, but rather...she unnerved me, maybe? "It was simply unexpected."

     "Learn to expect the unexpected," I muttered while standing up. "Now, you. Why have you called me here so suddenly?" I addressed the goddess without saying her name. It just felt wrong to say for some reason, and I had no clue why but I felt the need to avoid saying any god's name.

     "You know my name, why don't you say it?"

     "Because I don't need to. Are you going to answer me, or should I just fade back into the woodwork?" I pointed a thumb behind me to where I thought the exit might be. "I bet I could find my way back on my own."