Chapter 91: Summer Solstice

There were, for the next few days, many people introduced to me. They were all so pompous and haughty as they came to greet me, expecting that someone as famous as me would bow down to them. Because in the end, I was a mere vigilante, and they were nobles.

That's how it looked to everyone.

How I saw it:

I outrank them, I out-magic them, I outsmart them, I out-everything them. They think they can trample over me, who is higher than them?

Fat chance.

They came to shake hands with their greasy fingers, having just come from the buffet to where we were directly below the balcony of the king's throne, and had similarly slick and disgusting smiles in their minds. All of the nobles that came to greet me only had their fear pushed away by my looks.

One look at this form I had made, and they were hooked. An hour glass, battle ready shape, impressive bust that didn't get in the way of fighting, skin of soft cotton, lips of molten glass, hair whiter than moonlight.

Any man would look my way, if only to observe the ethereal beauty and wonder about her origins.

Many husbands were glared at, slapped behind closed doors, cursed at tea parties between women, and much more for the next week. I wasn't cursed at or anything by the women because they were too afraid of me, seeing the other side to the beauty.

Bandages, everywhere. The eyes do not show, yet she can see perfectly fine. Her name, is it really "Knight?" That beauty of hers? Too...too much. Something like this is not born, it is made.

How much is she hiding? Who is she really? And above all, what does the king think of her?

The king stood beside me as the greeters came forward, and to each one that I ignored as they introduced themselves, he had to apologize in my stead. Many of the people that came to greet me were just curious, excited to see that powerful woman who had been eradicating Demons one after another.

They were sorely disappointed when I did not reach up to shake their hand, didn't say a word as I looked them up, down, and then away. Right now, I was assuming the role of a "dandere." The definition of a dandere is quite simple. It is a person who "acts antisocial and doesn't talk to anyone until the right person comes along."

It was just for now, though.

Seeing such a thing, they were stunned. After stunned, there was anger and clenched teeth, further on there was badmouthing and hate.

Not that I cared. Knight was a character not meant to be loved, and the more people that didn't care about me, the less that noticed my disappearance for when I pack up my bags and never become Knight again.

Yes, spoiler alert, I'm already planning such a day. Ever since Paivla told me-us, since it was at that whole council thing-that a new change would occur, I've been thinking. Should I make it so that Knight only appears during this turbulent time period because she was necessary? Make it a conspiracy of some sort? After the battle is over, Knight shall disappear forever?

Besides, there's always some major battle before a big change. I'm preparing heavily for that day, since I know it will be somewhere in my lifetime.

Hell, Paivla told me I was going to be at the very center of it. Of course I'm going to double, triple, quadruple check my bases before then. I never knew when it would occur, so it was always best to keep on training until it smacked me in the face. I wanted to be ready to catch that fist, and certainly want to jump before the unknown kick comes to swipe my legs out from under me.