Chapter 167: The Fall of Firea-Madeline de Libellule

The assassin butler swiped a finger over the window sill, checking for dust. The enchanter head maid inspected the interior of the pantry quietly, only once in a while humming to herself or clicking her tongue in order to upset the familiar maid swallowed nervously, hands folded, as if she was once again under tutelage.

     I, meanwhile, sat up on a counter while looking over the Statuses of two servants calmly going about their business, wondering how I could have ever missed what I missed.

     What the stars...what the stars...what the stars...

     "Sissy, where are the cookies?" Hera glanced around, spinning in circles while walking over the air to see over all of the counters. "Are there no cookies here?"

     "Sissy probably just moved in, so she hasn't baked yet. Isn't that right, Sissy?"

     "What the stars..."

     "Huh?"

     "Hera," Magaris eased out of her throat, sounding obviously nervous. "Chord is correct. We haven't baked yet. There just hasn't been...time..."

     "Miss Firea," the head maid called out from the pantry while finally exiting. The door of it hung just slightly above the ground, and she didn't miss the step while coming to stand right before me. I could hardly drag my eyes up from the Status of hers hanging just in front of her face, one telling me she really must've been epic forty-something years ago. That wasn't just the standard Status. That was at least S-rank, in adventurer terms. And both of them? What kind of childhood did I live to be so ignorant of that fact? Was my head full of air? Was I just plain stupid? "I must implore you to reconsider bringing in more servants. Magaris alone is not enough to maintain this estate."

     "This isn't an estate..."

     "I have not yet seen a single monster, so I do not know how you call it a dungeon."

     "It's not a dungeon..."

     No...it's because they don't really have auras. And because, unlike Thérèse, they don't even sneakily use their strength and Skills at all. I never noticed because they really just pretended to be normal people.

     Or, they didn't pretend. They just "were" normal people. They left their past in the past and moved on with their lives.

     "Then what is it, Miss Firea?"

     "A heaven," I shrugged, staring over the long list of Skills the head maid had. And, all of them were at such high levels, too-

     "Heaven?" Adri blinked. He had stuck around at my feet since I'd sat down and he made no signs of moving, leaning against the silver cupboards below with his doe eyes peering up at me from the corner of his hanging head. "We're in heaven?"

     "Not 'heaven' as in dead. 'A heaven,' as in one of many."

     I explained, obviously, while scrolling still over Martin's assassin past. My heart was still stuck where it had been over an hour ago, before I'd shown the assassin and enchanter all the aspects of my house while really glad that it was not something even S-rank adventurers - former or not - could reach.

     "T-There are a lot of heavens...?"

     "Which one will I go to when I die?" Hera asked, marching up to stand next to Sarah, watching me. Since her feet level was at the same height as the high counter, she could look down on all of us.

     "Oh...well...you don't go to heaven when you die. You go to the life cycle."

     "The what?"