Chapter 47: Tasega's Version of Police

Church members from a town about thirty miles away arrived in this state of emergency about three days later at top speed.

     They had come because of an emergency call from the steward of the port town's noble, finally answering the call when they heard there was a mass murder and a trafficking-kidnapping case going on.

     Oh, so the town being almost wiped out didn't warrant your attention but a few murders did? Really? Also, I heard while on the boat that the storm was caused by the gods. As their interpreters and the ones that spread those beliefs, shouldn't you compensate somehow?

     The children had been located and taken home to their parents, the older ones shocked when the found out what happened after waking in their beds like nothing happened.

     There were a few of the children that were scared, having been awake when they were kidnapped. It took them many hours of reassuring they were alright for them to shut up. I mean, be quiet.

     During the time, I just stuck close to Adoray's side so it looked like I was shocked by these events too. What I really wanted to do was make it seem ordinary that I was by his side, so if he ever went to the scene of the "crime" then it would be at least a little natural. Edogawa Conan did it, so why can't I?

     During this, I had completely forgotten that I had the ability to transform. It was like how you forget to bring socks to PE or something, and you only realize until you have to get changed.

And so, the day before the transport was supposed to come for the children we went and visited the scene. Or, at least, Adoray did. I cast an invisibility spell and [Existence Negate], then slipped on after him after he was sure I was knocked out still from overusing my mana. He knew that if I was awake, I'd follow. I did.

     I feel like this is that one web novel about a girl who wanted to be average...I have my own "Adele Simulator" now. Except now it was a "Firea CPU (central processing unit, since it sounded better)."

     But, as I followed after him, having left a dummy in bed, I noticed something. Someone else was following him as well.

     They were awfully obvious about it too, at least for me. They were three hundred feet back, just out of Adoray's range.

     Now, when I saw that there were three of them on my radar, I immediately guessed who it was.

     "Taryn, Marinette, and a reluctant Gabriel, huh..." I had muttered aloud. Since I had been floating just above Adoray, he turned around with an alarmed look on his face right before we reached the scene, looking for me. But then, he noticed them as well, sneaking after him. They got sent away while Gabriel then had a triumphant look on his face, glad they didn't go.

     But the scary thing was that he asked them to go to his office and "check if the brat is there..."

     And off they went. I about had a heart attack while contemplating if I should waste my precious mana to get there before them and miss whatever the adults talk about, or stay and hope the dummy was sufficient.

     Just when I thought they would be there, I flew back as fast as possible, threw the dummy under the bed, and hopped in my hospital gown again.

    When they got there, I was in the same position as I woke up before I became Knight. After I had come back, my mana had only lost about six hundred points total from the disease and use, so I went and "slept" for two days. Adoray had asked me what I exhausted my mana on this time, but I just smiled naughtily and made him turn away to never ask again.

     After they left, the catkin and dogkin having found it a waste and the rabbitkin having braided my hair for no reason, I pulled up all my spells again and took off.