Chapter 89: Mini Cupid's Revenge

I put a containment field around the Demon after warily approaching it, making it invisible so no one saw the featureless shape of a human standing on their rooftop.

After leaving the pure black figure behind, I teleported to the ball room again and transformed back into myself. My dress flounced as I skipped through the hallways, acting like I was coming back from a little sightseeing. For some reason I felt like I was supposed to avoid using this persona here, but since I couldn't recall the reason I dismissed the uneasy feeling.

I peeked my head into the ballroom, acting like a curious, young child as I went off to find my parents.

In public, I acted like a modest and calm child. In private, I was myself. Right now, since there were a lot of people and I was in a fairly good mood, I had on a slight smile as my ponytail swung around and I skipped around the talking and dancing people.

"How cute!" I heard someone exclaim.

"Who's daughter is she?" The peanut gallery grew as I went along, eventually finding Mother. I grabbed on to her arms as she reached down to lift me up, and although on the outside she was smiling like a good mother, her grip said otherwise. Father simply sighed and Thérèse smirked lightly, Magaris lightly face palming and the children escaping before they got caught for some reason too.

"Ah, Knight's gone..." Chord sounded downcast.

"What's wrong?" Hera poked her head in and asked innocently.

"I was going to go thank her," Chord sighed.

Wahhh, I'm so glad I left. I don't think I should break the character of Knight around kids anymore, I already showed a more open side with Lars.

Mother's mouth opened and started lecturing me, but I didn't hear any of it as I tuned in to the conversation over yonder.

"It's the earl's daughter?"

"Oh, that one adventurer that used to hang around Earl and Elizabeth. Of course," some lady sighed by the food tables. "Likely as wild and untamed as her. What's someone like that doing here?"

"Careful what you say, Lindsey. Earl de Libellule was personally invited by the king for an 'after the event' type of thing."

"What? Why would he be called?"

"He's been on multiple successful campaigns, it was only a matter of time before he was called. So young and handsome, smart and successful...rich...oh, that wild beast must have the perfect life. How envious."

"What're those maids doing so close to them? Breathing down their necks?"

"I know, right? They've been hovering there the whole time! Honestly, it's irritating."

"Some nobles keep them around as pets, and it seems Earl is one of them. What a pity, he doesn't know how to treat them correctly, like the lowly servants they are."

Of course, I was staring blatantly in their direction as they were talking, so I saw everything that went on around them and who specifically said it.

"Fir! Are you even listening to me?" Mother lectured, brows furrowing.

"Mother, I have one business to take care of for a few minutes. The riffraff over there is talking crap about you guys. Give me a moment," I hopped down from her arms and started skipping towards the four ladies over there, a smile on my face as I went into acting mode.