12. Sodapop Curtis (The Outsiders)

For corhaim

"I don't see why you're still with him," Sodapop burst, exasperated. "We both know he's not good for you."

"I know that," you replied quietly. "But you how things are around here. I don't want to even think about what could happen to you if he or anyone of his friends found out."

Soda's gaze softened at your distressed expression. "Isabelle, you know I love you. I just wish we could be together without all the drama."

"Me too, Soda," you agreed, as he kissed your forehead. You noticed the time, jumping up. "Dang, I have to go. I'll see you later, okay?"

Sodapop and you became friends long before he dropped out, but even afterwards, you two remained close. He was the one you turned to in any situation, and you were always there to ease his pain, whether physical or emotional. Of course, this led to more, as it always does. One day he kissed you, and that day you knew you'd never be able to keep yourself away from him. Your only issues were your overbearing boyfriend and the social hierarchy of your town. You were an "upperclass Social" where as Soda was a "lowerclass Greaser." If anybody knew, it would cause a great deal of problems for both of you.

"Where have you been?" your boyfriend demanded when you got to his house.

You bit the inside of your lip, trying to keep it from quivering. "I had to take a friend to her house. Celia's parents took her car, so I told her I'd help her out."

He inched closer to you until he had you against the wall, your heart beating erratically in your chest. "You think I believe that bull? I know you were with that Greaser boy with the weird name."

Despite nearly blurting out an admittance, you held your ground and covered yourself. "I swear. I took Celia home from school. We talked for a while, and I didn't realize how long I'd been there. I swear."

He glowered down at you for two seconds more before pushing himself off of you. "Alright."

You knew he still didn't believe you, but at least you'd bought yourself time.

The next time you went to see Soda, you made sure to go on a night when you didn't have prior engagements to be with your boyfriend.

Sodapop smiled when he saw you, instantly embracing you. "Isabelle," he murmured into your hair. "I missed you. He hasn't done anything to you, has he?"

You shook your head. "No. I'm fine, but I'm almost positive he knows."

The color in his face drained. "Knows what?"

"You know what," you answered. "Us."

You two spent the time cuddled together, trying not to think about your awful boyfriend and the possibilities.

When it was time for you to leave, Soda insisted that he and Darry and a couple of the other guys in their gang walk you to your car down the block, in case something happened. You tried to say no, but they wouldn't have it.

When you opened the door, you saw a very familiar car parked across the street, and you felt your heart pump faster and your stomach churn. "No." You turned to rush back inside, knowing it was probably too late. He had seen you.

"You thought you could lie to me, you bitch?" he screamed as he walked across the street. "Huh?"

Dogs howled at the sudden noise.

"I didn't mean it!" you cried, hoping he wouldn't become violent but knowing he would. "Please, just leave us alone. Leave Sodapop alone, please!"

Soda moved in front of you, keeping himself between you and your boyfriend. "No. If you have a problem, it's with me, asshole."

Your boyfriend nearly clobbered Soda on the spot. "Fight me, right here, right now."

"Okay," Sodapop chirped before socking him in the face.

Then there were arms everywhere and they were on the ground. Darry took you and tried to walk you back inside but you were stuck in place. You couldn't just walk away from this and would fight that you had caused. No matter the words or noises that came screeching from your trembling mouth, they hardly stopped.

Only until the guy that had once been your boyfriend was unrecognizable. They staggered to their feet, hardly able to stay that way.

"Had enough?" Soda teased, despite his own bruises and bloody face.

The other guy spat and walked away, mumbling about "dumb greasers" and  "cheating whores." "Everybody's gonna know about you two!" he screamed before getting into his car and leaving.

You quickly reached for Soda, gingerly touching him to avoid hurting him. "Soda, you're hurt."

"So is he," he pointed out.

You smiled, kissing him lightly. "Yeah he is, but you matter more to me right now."

I hope you like it. Funny how I give a name to someone mentioned in two lines and the boyfriend/ex-boyfriend doesn't get one. Oh well. Sucks for that jerk.  Thank you fir requesting! I hope you liked it. M'kay.

~Mariah