97: Jonathan Brandis

For FelixMaximoff

Based on "Please Love Me Forever" by Bobby Vinton

You had always sworn that begging was beneath you, that begging for someone's love was pathetic and you had more self-worth than that.

But here you were.

"Please don't stop loving me," you whimpered.

Jonathan's eyes looked anywhere but yours. He couldn't give you what you wanted.

"What happened to 'I'll never forget you'? What happened to loving me forever?" You were hysterical.

That small part of your brain was telling you that this was irrational, but the aching in your heart drowned it out.

"I don't know what to tell you, Y/n," he replied quietly. "I guess I'm a liar."

You both thought back to the days he whispered sweet nothings in your ear and promised you the world.
__________

"If I die before you, I'll come back for you," he promised as he stroked your hair.

Getting lost in the little oceans of his irises, you relaxed into his touch. "Don't forget me. Ever."

"Never," he assured you.
__________

Now, your tear stained faces showed a very different couple. One that had run its course, as many do. You never wanted this to be one of those.

"What am I supposed to do?" you pleaded. "We were supposed to last forever. I love you."

He sighed, pulling at his hair. "I don't know! I love you too, but I'm not... in love. I just don't feel the same anymore."

"But we were meant to be."

His demeanor softened, and he gingerly held onto your arms, like he thought you would fall over. "I thought so too, but..."

You made him look you in the eyes as you repeated pitifully, "Please don't stop loving me."
__________

"I had another dream about you," you told him.

"Oh yeah?"

You nodded, suddenly feeling shy. "Yeah. I seem to dream about you nightly. I think..." your voice trailed off.

He gave you a curious look and took your hand. "What is it?"

"Don't take this lightly. I'm serious about this." You waited for his affirmation. "I love you."

He smiled as he leaned into you. "I love you too," he said as he slowly closed the gap between your lips.
__________

Days became years, and you pieced yourself back together. You found love and lost it again, though none hurt nearly as much as that night with Jonathan.

You had just returned home after work and flipped on the TV.

"Actor Jonathan Brandis has died..."

The room began to spin. That couldn't be right. How long had it been?

Your mind raced with a million questions, but the only thing you could focus on was the piercing memory of you, down on your knees, begging for him to love you again.

I meant it when I said I'd love you forever.

Is this what he meant when he said he would come back for you? Would he haunt your memories until you too passed?

I really can't forget you.

I'm sorry this is so short but I hope you still like it. I am all about some angst, so I hope this isn't way out in left field. Ik you wanted it to be sad and the song was killing me. (It's so beautiful, but when you're lonely, it hurts in a different way.)

Anyway, thank you for the request!

I hope y'all are doing well in the 50th year of crises.

M'kay.

~Mariah