88: Two-Bit Mathews (The Outsiders)

When Two-Bit showed up on your doorstep, he was either absolutely shit-faced drunk or in need of a listening ear. You were surprised to see a (mostly) sober, smiling young man at your door this time.

"You wanna catch a movie?" he asked, as if this was normal.

You cocked an eyebrow. "No one else wanna go with you, huh, Two-Bit?"

He feigned a hurt expression, hand to his chest. "Ouch! Why do you hurt me?" Laughing, he expanded on his offer, "I thought you might be in need of a night out of your house."

You thought for a moment before telling him to wait a second. You grabbed a sweater from your room and your purse. "Be back later!" you announced to whomever in your family could hear. Once at the door again, slipping your arms into your sweater, you smiled at Two-Bit. "Ready!"

The walk to the Nightly Double was mostly quiet. An unusual occurrence with him.

"So, how come you're not drunk tonight?" you decided to ask.

He only shrugged. "I was a couple drinks in, and I just didn't feel like it, I guess. I don't just get drunk all the time."

"Coulda fooled me," you quietly scoffed.

He whipped his head to look at you, frowning. "Hey! I mean it."

You felt bad, but his track record had more than proved your point. "I'm sorry, but I can't remember the last time you were sober and not miserable."

"Well, shi- I guess I just like being drunk better. Maybe I should just start chugging a beer right now."

You knew he was joking, but he sounded bitter. "What's wrong?"

"It's not one of those nights, Y/n," he said, looking straight ahead.

The movie was an adaptation of some classic you had definitely read in school. Two-Bit cracked a few jokes here and there, making you both laugh much to the chagrin on those around you.

"Why's he beating around the bush?" he wondered aloud. "Kiss her!"

You managed to suppress your laughter, while hitting him on the arm in response to the complaints coming from all around you.

After a quiet spell, you leaned over, eyes glued to the screen. "Isn't she gorgeous?"

"She's not too bad looking."

You briefly gave him a look of disbelief. "Are you kidding? If she was here right now, you'd be all over her. Sober or not."

He shook his head. "Nope."

"I find that hard to believe."

"Better believe it, sweetheart."

You cringed at the pet name. "Please don't call me that."

"What? Sweetheart?"

You nodded. You thought for a second before cheekily adding, "I prefer baby."

He lightly chuckled before sliding his arm around your shoulders. "Alrighty then, baby."

You smiled along, but you knew what he was like with girls. This was nothing special.

When the movie was over, he didn't offer to walk you home. He just did.

"So what are you doing next weekend?" he asked as you got closer to your house.

"Probably the same thing I planned on doing this weekend: nothing."

He turned to you. "Well, then how do burgers sound?"

You blinked. "Two-Bit Mathews, are you asking me on a date?" you asked quietly.

"Only if that's what you want."

"I'd like that very much," you affirmed. "Don't get into too much trouble before then."

He winked. "I'll try. No promises."

"I mean it." You tried to give him a stern look, but it was so difficult when he was smiling at you.

"I know you are, baby." He took hold of your hips and pulled you forward. "Do I have to wait for a kiss?"

You rolled your eyes and shook your head. "I suppose not." You leaned forward and gave him a quick peck on the lips.

"Come back here." He smiled into another kiss, this one longer and sweeter. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight," you murmured before opening your door. You peeked back at him before slipping into the house.

I had a completely idea that spawned this but it is what it is. It's been so long since I wrote for my boy Two-Bit. I just wanted to get in one before doing the last request I currently have (a part 3 to that Tommy Howell 2-parter).

M'kay.

~Mariah