102: The Curtis Brothers (The Outsiders)

For 80smovies11

You woke up gripping your sheets. The only light in the room came from the street lamps on the other side of your window. Your breath was heavy, and it felt like there wasn't enough. The whole room felt too hot—you'd been sweating.

A loud thump sounded outside your door before it flew open, startling you further.

Sodapop, hair a mess and squinting in the dark, was standing there. "What's wrong? What happened?"

You managed to catch you breath long enough to say "Nothing. I- I had a nightmare."

He visibly relaxed and moved to sit down next to you. "Wanna talk about it?"

Just as you were about to answer, a groggy looking Darry appeared in your bedroom doorway. "Dear Lord, what was all that noise?"

You guiltily turned to your 2nd oldest brother. "Did I make a bunch of noise before I woke up? Is that why you came running in?"

Soda gave you a sympathetic look. "You sounded like you were crying real loud."

Darry also entered the room and sat at the foot of your bed, patting your leg. "You feeling alright?"

You had calmed down by now, but with your brothers questioning you, you wanted nothing more than to curl up into your covers. "It was nothing."

The elder Curtis boys exchanged a look of concern.

"Y/N," Darry began carefully. "You can talk to us. I know we're not Mom and Dad, and I'm sure you're going through a lot of stuff that you'd want Mom to be here for-"

"Darry, I'm fine," you interrupted. "It isn't anything like that. I just had a nightmare. I'll be fine."

He sighed, and as he got up, he patted your legs again. "Alright, kiddo. But we're talking about it tomorrow, okay?"

You nodded in agreement, if only to appease him.

Soda also got up. He kissed your forehead, whispering, "Night, Y/N/N."
__________

You spent the whole day worrying over what you tell your brothers. Were you willing to tell them what had woken you in a fit? Or would you just tell them, again, that it wasn't that bad?

You still hadn't decided when Ponyboy joined you on the couch that afternoon.

"So...." he started awkwardly. "I heard you had some trouble sleeping last night."

Internally, you groaned. "Did they put you up to this?"

Pony, who had never been the best at improv, briefly went wide-eyed before catching himself. "Who?"

"Don't play dumb."

"I'm not," he began to argue. "They're worried."

You sighed and went back to the show you had been watching.

At dinner, your brothers kept glancing over at you and each other. Silent conversations were being had around you.

Finally catching them all looking at you, you dropped your fork. "What is it?"

Soda was the first to speak. "We just want you tell us what's wrong."

Before you could even utter a word, tears began to spill.

If you thought they were concerned before, they sure as heck were now.

"Y/N, just tell us what's wrong," Darry insisted. "We want to help."

Sniffling, you attempted to ebb the flow of your tears. "My dream... my nightmare was about us."

All three looked at you, encouraging you to continue.

"I'm not enough for this family." Your voice was small, and that's exactly how felt, admitting this.

Ponyboy, looking more confused than sympathetic, blurted, "What the heck does that mean?"

You steadied your breath. "I mean, I always need you guys watching out for me. I can barely take care of myself. I just feel like I don't fit into this family. What is my purpose here?"

"Oh, Y/N," Soda breathed. "You're more than enough for this family. You're our baby sister, and you shouldn't feel like you have to take care of yourself right now. You're here to learn right now."

Darry came around the table to offer a reassuring grip on your shoulder. "Your purpose is remind is to be gentlemen. Too many boys in the same place is a mess sometimes, but you're always here to keep us on our best behavior because we all know Mom and Dad did their best with you."

Once again wiping away tears, you nodded. Their words were filling in the holes that your worries had poked into your soul.

"I'm sorry about worrying you guys," you mumbled.

Pony came to your seat and engulfed you in a soft hug. Soda followed close behind, and Darry wrapped his arms around all three of you. No one said anything. You just sat in each other's embrace and let their love permeate into you.

I uhhh idk what those last words were?? I forgot how words work. Anyway, I tried to combine your two requests into one, and I hope you like what I came up with. Thank you so much for requesting!! M'kay.

~Mariah