78: River Phoenix

For eightiesphxenix

You stared at River in disbelief. "What?"

"I said I love you."

Looking back, it was hard to understand how you had missed it. Anyone else could see his massive heart eyes for you from a mile away.

When you had become friends as kids, he only befriended you. He stopped caring if he had other friends. Sure, he made some, but you were his top priority. You were the only friend he invited over for play dates and birthdays.

When you had gotten to your teen years, he was your shoulder to cry on when life was difficult. He answered the phone no matter what, always ready to jump at your beckon.

"I just don't understand why people are so mean to me," you had sobbed one night, curled around a pillow.

He stroked your back. "No one else understands your beauty and originality. If they can't see how amazing you are, they don't deserve to. You should never have to show yourself off to get the right person's attention."

His advice was always the best. He was your constant reminder of your self-worth, and he would do anything to make you hurt less.

When you revealed a new crush to him, he smiled, but it never reached his eyes. It was something you never dwelled on. You always thought, in the moment, that he was tired or just was vaguely bored of hearing about your crushes.

When you told River about your boyfriend, he congratulated you, but never said anything more about it. He liked your boyfriend, but he never wanted to third wheel, so you made time between your boy and your friend.

Had people tried to tell you? Of course. But you never saw it. River was your best friend. The person you went to when the world was against you. The person that you had a secret language with from childhood. The person that reminded you when you were making bad decisions that might ultimately hurt you. But wasn't that what love was?

You thought it was hugs and kisses and a gift on Valentine's Day. The love you expected was swinging interlocked hands while walking down the sidewalk. It was dancing and fancy dates. It was late night drives to look at the stars.

When River stood in front of you and told you that he saw you as more than a friend, you were disoriented. Had you misinterpreted things? What if you had expected some Prince Charming to come out of nowhere, when the real one had been there the whole time?

You understood "being in love" as finding the person you couldn't stand leaving. It was always River. When you imagined everything else going to shit, River was still there, supporting you. He was so integrated into your life at this point, you couldn't believe you had ever thought of finding love in someone else.

"Y/n," he murmured cautiously. His voice snapped you back to the present. "I- I'm sorry if that was inappropriate, but I needed to tell you."

You swallowed the lump in your dry, dry throat. "I can't believe it."

He paused.

"I love you, too." Tears spilled as you realized you had never meant those words as much as you did now. "I'm so sorry." You pulled him towards you, holding him securely. "I'm so sorry it took me so long."

Bro I just want love 😔😩🥺 anyway... I hope this is alright. I thought about a different plot but I felt like this one worked. Thank you for the request!

Also, listening to love songs and writing this rlly just ruined me, so while I'm crying, I hope y'all enjoy. M'kay.

~Mariah