25. Jonathan Brandis

For lukeybabe68

No one was immune. Girls were mushy and suddenly very interested in any boy without a date. Boys were either stuttering messes or coy about the situation. It was time for the Winter Formal, or the Snowball, if you will. (😉)

While you kept your sudden giddiness about the dance internalized, you had to watch the other girls either gush about their date (or prospects of getting one) or cry because they hadn't been asked yet. It was frightening, to say the least.

The one guy you hoped would ask you had pretty much skirted around the topic of the dance anytime you two talked. His only words if the dance had been commentary on how crazy everyone was being about it.

You hugged your binder to your chest, wishing he would ask you. Though you'd never tell him, it was the one thing on your mind since the posters went up.

"Hey, there's my favorite girl," the voice of the boy in mind came from beside you.

You turned your head to see Jonathan's smiling face. "Hi."

He cocked his head. "You okay?"

"Of course," you answered, smiling to convince him. "So what's up?"

He scratched the back of his neck. "Well.." Gosh, he didn't know how to start. "Um... I wanted- I wanted to ask you... if you knew if Katherine had a date, yet."

And there went your heart. "Uh... I don't know. I don't think she does."

He nodded. "Okay. Asking for a friend."

You rolled your eyes and, pushing aside your disappointment, playfully bumped into him. "I know what that means, you goofball. 'Asking for a friend.' You're not slick."

He put his hands up defensively. "No, really. Seth wants to ask her, but he didn't know if she had a date."

You smiled a little to yourself, nodding. "Oh, okay. "

As you neared your next class, it was very quiet between you two. You stopped at the door to tell him bye.

"Merinda?"

"Mmhm?"

He took a noticeably deep breath. "Will you go to the Winter Formal with me?" Before you could answer, he looked distressed. "Oh jeez, you probably have a date already. You do don't you? My gosh, I'm stupid. I-"

"Jonathan! Calm down," you laughed. "I'd love to go with you. You're the only one I'd want to go with anyway, so it's a good thing you finally asked me."

A grin came across his face. "Really? Thank you! Wow, that was dorky. I'll shut up now. I'll see you after class."

You giggled at his rambling. "At least you're cute when you're being a dork. Don't be late to class, please."

One last flash of his bright smile and sparkling eyes and he was gone down the hall.

I hope you like it! I'm sorry it's so short, but I didn't want a ton of bull crap filler stuff. Thank you for requesting! M'kay.

~Mariah