62. Freddie Mercury

For WilmarieMaldonado

"Hey, you're in Smile, right?" you asked the two familiar young men. "You play at the pub?"

The blond one smiled and nodded. "Yeah. I see you there all the time."

"Yeah, I'm a really big fan. I think you guys are great," you gushed, blood rushing to your cheeks at your embarrassing amount of flattery. "It mean, I really enjoy watching you guys."

Both guys grinned, giddy at the idea of having a "fan."

"Thanks- ah, what's your name?"

"Y/n," you answered, extending your hand.

"I'm Roger," the blond man introduced as he gave your hand a shake.

As you were shaking hands with the dark haired man, he told you his name was Brian.

"You guys are playing tonight, aren't you?" you asked, already knowing the answer.

They exchanged a look before one of them answered.

"We are, but we actually got a new singer."
__________

The pub had a lot of familiar faces, regulars coming for company- some in chairs, some in glasses.

There was a face you didn't see that you had grown used to seeing among the usuals, but you didn't dwell too long on that as the band set up.

You were surprised to see the missing face get up on stage with the band you had been waiting for. You leaned across the counter, catching the attention of the bartender. "What's his name, do you know?"

The bartender shook his head. "Nah, but he's here as much as you are."

You nodded, facing the band once again. They had told you of their change in singer, but you hadn't expected to recognize him. Or be blown away by his talent.

He had been about as unsuspecting as you, mostly there for the music, but seeing him perform, you felt as though you were wrong to assume he had been there with only the intention of spectating. He was really something to behold.

Once the band was finished, you made your way to where they exited. "Brian?" When he turned, you grinned and waved.

He returned the gesture. "Y/n, hi! Glad you came."

"Hello," Roger greeted you. He turned, less enthusiastically when he saw who was there. "Y/n, this is our new singer we told you about. Freddie, this is Y/n. She's a regular here."

You met Freddie's eyes in a moment of uncertainty. "I've seen you here a few times, haven't I? You're here nearly as often as I am."

He nodded, offering an amused smile, and you knew he recognized you. "Yes. Though, I don't think I was nearly as big a fan of these boys as you are."

"You did a great job," you blurted, quickly adding, "You all did. It was a great set."

The band said their thank you's, and you chatted a little longer about the music and how Freddie had approached them at a convenient time for them.

You bonded quickly with them, and you continued to support their music as time went by.
__________

It seemed like a blink of an eye, and they were releasing music. They were playing actual concerts. They had more fans than you and the pub regulars.

You were waiting for them backstage with a smile you couldn't wipe off your face even if you wanted to. Watching them perform now was just as great an experience as it was before. Freddie was a showman and an absolute natural on the stage.

The crowd ate it up.

When the guys were done playing, you met them with a quick hug and peck on the cheek for each. "You were incredible! Freddie, you're a star."

Freddie flashed a smile as the other guys went to cool off after playing. "Of course I am, love. I have to be."

You playfully rolled your eyes. "I think you all get better every time I see you. I wish I could be at more shows."

"Oh don't feel bad. Everyone understands, but we appreciate when having our biggest cheerleader around."

"Oh, Freddie. You're too kind."

He took your hand and gave it a squeeze. "Coming from you, it must be true. Now, let's go cool off. A star must rest, as you know."

Gah, I really hope you like this bc Idk how to feel about it. I have not seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet, and I received copious amounts of help from Laura (chambers-kid) and Grace (ilarbtom_39), two beautiful and amazing friends, so THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH. I really appreciated your help.

I apologize for any out of character moments or if this actually just sucks butt. Thank you for requesting and waiting for actually a billion years. M'kay.

~Mariah