108: Edward Furlong

For samantha878899

It felt cliche to Edward that he would have a crush on you. You were the sweet classmate that let him borrow pencils and always did your part of the project. Honestly though, he couldn't imagine someone not liking you.

He'd considered trying to shoot his shot many times, but nothing ever seemed right. The idea of just flat out telling you intimidated him.

And then it felt like he'd missed his chance completely when he saw you walking hand-in-hand with some guy Edward only knew in passing.

Today, he was less happy that you had lockers right beside each other. "Hey, Y/N," he greeted, trying to play off any jealousy that might be building up.

"Hi, Edward," you chirped. Turning to your boyfriend, you pulled him forward, letting his arm settle on your hip. "Josh, you know Edward?"

He nodded. "Yeah, I think we've had some classes together."

Edward reciprocated the nod of acknowledgment. "I think so too."

"Oh okay, cool," you bubbled. "Oh, before I forget, are you going to Eva's party?"

"I am," Edward answered. He looked at Josh for a second before continuing. "Are you?"

"We'll be there. I'll look for you, okay?"
__________

You felt dizzy and sick and was it getting hot in there? Or was it just you? You wished for it to be a trick. A cruel joke.

But you had always been one to trust your eyes, and what you saw was cruel and anything but funny.

Edward had managed to secure the bathroom to himself. How he did it, no one knows, but he was having his own moment of unease in front of the mirror.

"So what if she has a boyfriend?" he scoffed to himself with false confidence. "I can still let her know... just in case she... stops having a boyfriend." He gave himself a once over: checking his clothes, his teeth, his breath, everything. A deep inhale. Release. "Alright, Ed. You got this."

He unlocked the door and swung it open to see you standing there, eyes red and tears streaming down.

"Y/N, what happened?"

You shook your head trying to duck into the bathroom behind him, but he stayed firm.

Thinking better of placing a hand on your shoulder, he gripped the door. "What's wrong? Where's Josh?"

At the sound of his name, you wanted to sob even more. "Please," you hiccuped, "Edward, just let me have the bathroom for a minute. I'll talk to you when I come back out."

He relented, but he stood guarding the door, looking out for any sign of Josh. The guy in question rounded the corner of the hallway and locked eyes with Edward.

"Hey, you seen Y/N?" Josh questioned, seeming desperate. "I gotta talk to her."

Edward frowned, setting his shoulders back to, hopefully, appear larger. "She's busy right now. What happened?"

"None of your business. Let me talk to her." Josh glanced at the closed door behind Edward and reached for the handle. Thankfully, it was locked. He shook the handle, yelling your name.

You thought you would cry more, but hearing the door shake and his voice, you just felt angry. You opened the door, a determined scowled set on your face. "Josh, there is no talking to do. You cheated on me."

Josh tried to reach for you around Edward. "Babe, come-"
__________

Sitting on the curb outside your house, you hugged your knees to your chest.

"I can't believe you punched him." Edward blinked at you in awe. "I mean, I always knew there was a reason I liked you so much, but... wow."

A soft smile grew on your face. "You like me?"

He paled. "Uh... yeah. I have for a long time."

"I think I like you too." You sighed. "Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't really want to date you right now."

He shrugged. "Totally understandable. Take your time. I'll just keep liking you, and you just let me know when you're ready."
__________

It took nearly a year. The last couple months were just you messing with him, but you had fallen hard.

He gave you your space without completely ignoring you, and you couldn't have been happier. He only ever invited you out if there were other mutual friends going, and he made sure you were comfortable wherever you were. If you sort of liked him before, you really liked him now.

Edward would be lying if he said that he wasn't counting the days until you were ready to date, but he also wanted to respect you.

So when the day came, you were sitting on the curb outside your house again after a night out at the fair. You both smelled like fried food mixed with your respective perfume or cologne. The air was comfortable—warm with a breeze. Everything seemed to just work out.

"So, Edward," you started.

He looked at you carefully. "Yes?"

"Would you like to take me on a date this Saturday?"

It took everything in him not to externally freak out. "I would love to take you on a date this Saturday. What did you have in mind?"

"I was thinking the movies."

"Movies it is."

"It's a date."

"It's a date," he echoed.

Dkhsjwjrka I'm so sorry I'm taking twelve years to write these. I hope you like it!! Thank you for requesting!

I start school again tomorrow so whisk me luck but also I'm sorry if it takes me a little while to get through my remaining requests. I AM finishing them, so if I've told youI'm writing it, I will. M'kay.

~Mariah