95: Ralph Macchio

"Excuse me, sir, can I see your I.D.?" you asked, coming up beside the bartender that had taken his order.

Ralph gave you an unamused look. "Ha ha, very funny, Y/n."

The baby-faced wonder himself had been your best friend since junior high, and you lived to tease him.

You turned the the other bartender. "I dunno if this guy's legal yet, Bud," you commented in an exaggerated stage-whisper.

Bud awkwardly laughed, not really understanding the dynamic. He was still new. "Ummm..."

You shook your head. "Just make his drink." You sighed, turning back to Ralph. "Long day?"

He slumped against the counter. "Yeah."

"I get off in half an hour. Maybe we can catch that movie you were talking about?"

Propping himself up with one arm under his chin, he shook his head. "I'm not feeling the movies today. You got food at your place?"

You nodded. "You know I do."

You finished your shift as Ralph finished his drink—and possibly a couple more. Gathering your things, you came back to where he was sitting.

"Let's go, Sunshine," you prompted. "I'll drive."

Once you got to your apartment, he found his favorite spot on your little sofa—ie. the whole thing—and occupied it.

"What are you hungry for?"

"Food," said a muffled grumble.

You looked to see his face buried in the cushions. You lightly chuckled to yourself, shaking your head. You scanned the kitchen for inspiration.

He groaned, pushing himself off the couch and entered the kitchen. Without a word, he looked through your cabinets and pulled out ingredients, seemingly at random.

"Whatcha planning on cooking there, Julia Childs?" You cocked an eyebrow.

He shrugged and ran a hand through his jet black hair, which was now a fluffy mess. "Food."

An amused breath escaped you. "Alright. Would you like some help?"

"Sure. You know how to scramble eggs?"

"I think I can manage."

You both occupied a tight space in front of the stove, each stirring and watching your own pot or pan. Occasionally, you'd get in each other's way, causing playful swatting or a comical fight for dominance over the space.

In many ways, this scene was exactly what your relationship was. Comfort was found in the proximity of your bodies to one another, but you were always getting in the way of gentle synchronicity. Best friends till the end, but probably never more.

You had both wanted that at some point, but you just couldn't see it working. Your timing never worked. What you two had was a beautiful friendship, and you were both more than content with things staying that way.

You would have a front row seat to his wedding, and he at yours. Some enough, you would each be cooking dinner for someone else entirely, but for now, you had each other.

He ended up with a plate piled high with scrambled eggs, a grilled cheese, and some steamed vegetables he found in a bag in the freezer.

"I think I'll just take a grilled cheese," you announced upon seeing the plated food.

Deciding the table was not suitable for the mood, you both sat on the kitchen floor.

Between bites, he retold the events of his day with his own commentary. "And then he completely forgot what he was supposed to be doing! I told him three times! He left, did God knows what, and then comes back an hour later having not done anything."

You let him rant and rave, knowing that "mmhm's" and nodding were the best responses right now.

Long after the plates had been emptied and washed, you both sank into the couch, turning on some talk show.

You were about to make a snide remark about the guest, but when you turned, Ralph was fast asleep. The teeniest of smiles came to your face as you eased yourself off the sofa. Finding a spare blanket to cover him, you tiptoed out of the room into your own.

He'd apologize for staying the night—he always did—and you would insist that he's welcome to sleep on the sofa whenever. That's how it always went, and you wouldn't change it for the world.

I needed to write some platonic fluff. Like it was necessary. Idk where my inspiration went, but I'd like it back.

Also! If anyone here is into HBO War, I just started another imagines book for that. It's called Makin' Plans and I've got two imagines up already. It would mean a lot if you checked it out. Thanks!!

M'kay.

~Mariah