59. Edgar Frog (The Lost Boys)

For Aradia_the_Unwanted

You propped you chin on your hand. "You're not dressing up, are you?"

Edgar looked confused. "Dressing up? For what?"

"Halloween," you answered, already expecting his next response.

"Why would I participate in an antiquated ritual of dressing up to 'scare away demons' when I can do that with a silver bullet or a wooden stake?" He continued wiping down the glass countertop.

You shook your head. "That's what I thought, but I really want you to come to this Halloween party with me, and it's a costume party."

"I'm not big on parties either, and you know that."

"Fine." You sighed. "Can we go trick-or-treating?"

He gave you a sideways glance. "You ask me that every year."

"I'm hoping I'll wear you down on of these days," you reply, cracking a smile at him.

"Halloween is a dangerous time, Fifi. I know we've been over this, but repetition never hurt anyone. You know how easy it is for a supernatural creature to blend in when everyone is dressed up? Hell, they blend in just fine every other day."

"Uggh," you groaned. "Edgar, shut up. You don't have to dress up, but we're going out for Halloween. Everyone else has fun, so we should too. We can even bring Alan and Sam along. It'll be fun, and we'll have backup if something goes wrong."

The expression on his face told you that he was relenting. "Since you seem so determined about this, I'll agree. Also, you're right about the backup. We'll definitely need them."

Sam showed up dressed as David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust, complete with lighting bolt makeup, and you dressed up as your favorite movie character.

To no one's surprise, Edgar and Alan were in full monster-hunting gear. Not only did they pack their stakes and crosses, but a few extra things were coming along in case they happened to meet any other "sinister creatures or demon spawn."

You and Sam exchanged glances before dragging the brothers into a haunted house.

Edgar was unusually on edge, and he wasn't great at hiding it. Every time someone in a supernatural guise popped out, he flinch and began to reach for his backpack.

You gripped his arm. "Calm down, Edgar. They're just dressed up." Giggling, you added, "I never thought I'd have to tell you that. I always imagined it would be you comforting me at scary stuff."

He drew in a heavy breath. "I'm not used to people pretending to be monsters. Usually when they look like monsters, they are. It's the ones that hide I normally have problems with. This.." A crazed looking werewolf interupted him, which only made Edgar look at him suspiciously. "This.. is a strange reversal."

"There are stranger things," you replied, tugging his arm to continue through the house.

Finally reaching the exit, Sam and Alan were waiting for you two.

"How'd you guys like that?" Sam asked, grinning despite having nearly bawled through the attraction. He would never admit to clinging to Alan the whole way.

Alan, who was not as concerned with Sam's pride, rolled his eyes. "It might have been better if I didn't have that one on me the whole time. Not a big fan. The werewolves and vampires hardly looked believable anyway."

You turned to Edgar. "See? Even Alan could tell the difference."

"What do you mean 'even Alan'? I think I'm pretty smart." The dark haired boy had his own equivalent of a pout on his face.

Sam shrugged. "I say we hit up some old people's houses while we still look young enough to get candy. I could really use some Skittles."

"Sam, I don't think you need any sugar," you teased. "You're hyper enough."

"Ha ha," he deadpanned.

At the end of the night, you all wound up at Sam's house, sorting candy out in the living room.

"I want more of these," Edgar announced, holding up an empty silver wrapper.

"That's 3 Musketeers," you informed him. "Here, I have like 10. Does anyone have Sweet Tarts?"

You all swapped candies and discussed the highlights of the evening. You almost forgot that you had literally dragged Edgar and Alan into the Halloween festivities.

"I'm glad you made me do this," Edgar admitted. "You like these, right?" He held out a piece of your favorite candy.

You smiled. "Yeah, I do."

He quickly dropped it into your hand. "Have it. I don't think I've ever had so much candy in my possession in my life."

"You should see how much little kids get. I used to fill up pillow cases on Halloween."

"What a strange holiday."

I hope you like this!! I started writing it and then like just.. stopped?? Idk. Thank you so much for requesting. I'm sorry if you wanted it to touch more on the supernatural stuff, but I'm not great w all that, so I stuck to cutesy shtuff. M'kay.

~Mariah