99: Vern Tessio (Stand By Me)

For @stranger_uris

By no means was Vern a ladies man. He was goofy and awkward just like most other 15 year old boys. He didn't quite feel like he was put together properly, and then there's that walk that boys get when they're suddenly a foot taller than they used to be.

But you felt just as awkward and insecure. Every 15 year old has known that feeling.

Something about the two of you just clicked. You had become friends at some point—you two don't agree on the exact details—and found in each other exactly what you needed.

Vern needed a girl that wouldn't spit on him for saying dumb stuff when he didn't quite pick up on the social cues. You were always very patient with him and made sure he knew why he was wrong.

You needed someone to look at you the way Vern did: with unconditional adoration. It was sweet and reminded you that even with all of your faults and less-than-impressive features, you were still worth looking at.

There's just something about being young and vulnerable and finding that person that checks all the boxes. The hormones are definitely another large part of the weird feelings you both got.

Yours started with thoughts of him when you were daydreaming. His face would manifest in your mind, and you felt warm. Then you'd realize you had been sitting there with a cheesy grin on your face. Harboring feelings for your friend, this friend in particular, was not something you had expected.

Not sure how, but nevertheless.

Vern always kind of knew you did it for him. His reasons lay somewhere between "she's always nice to me" and "she's the best person alive." His reasons aside, the feelings grew exponentially in a short span of time. Vern, being the guy he is, decided to find out whether his feelings were reciprocated.

"Hey, Y/n," he said, as you were walking home.

You looked over at him. "Yes, Vern?"

But as you turned your head, his face smashed into yours in a very clumsy, painful way.

"Ow!" You both groaned simultaneously.

You rubbed the spot of the collision, and you could see a red whelp forming on his forehead.

"Jeez, I'm an idiot." He was shaking his head, and though he would deny it, tears were threatening to spill.

You tried to make him meet your eyes. "Hey..." You waited for him to make eye contact. "You're only an idiot sometimes, but what was that?"

"I was going to try and kiss you," he confessed, no longer looking at you.

"Oh." You felt a twinge in your heart.

"I'm sorry. It was dumb."

You rocked on your heels and back onto your toes. "Well..." Taking a deep breath for courage, you blurted, "If you tried again, I wouldn't stop you."

His eyes had never gotten so wide and his jaw never dropped so low. "Sincerely?"

"Just take your time."

He nodded quickly before taking a step towards you.

You smiled up at him as he slowly lowered his face to yours and touched his lips to yours. You jumped forward a bit, catching by surprise as you continued to kiss him.

You detached first and threw your arms around him in a tight hug. "Vern, you're a lousy kisser. How'd you like to practice some more later?"

He flushed. "What? Really?"

"Come on, goofball," you laughed. "We're still a block from my house."

I hope you like it!! I got so excited about a Vern request bc no one ever requests for my son. Thank you for requesting!

Today was... not great. Idk why but I've just not felt great lately?? Mentally mostly, and I can't figure it out. I think I need more sleep but I hate going to sleep. Anyway.... hope y'all are alright. M'kay.

~Mariah