33. David (The Lost Boys)

For Rose_Ravenholt

3rd POV

Valarie was fuming. Every time she saw Star, anger boiled inside her. It had been bad enough when she was put into the group, but David was suddenly giving her his attention.

"What do you mean, you're leaving?" David had asked when Valarie announced her departure.

She rolled her eyes. "I'm going to leave this place. Did you understand it that time?"

The other guys looked as though they wanted to protest, but they knew this was a conversation between only David and Valarie, even if it was right in front of everyone else.

"Max will be angry if he finds out I let a halfling wander around on her own," David argued, beginning to loo frustrated.

"That's not my problem." Valarie walked over to where Laddie was sitting, looking deeply saddened by the announcement. "Hey, Lad. Oh, don't cry. I'll come and get you every no and then. How does that sound."

The little boy sniffled but managed a smile. "Alright."

She returned a smile and gave him a quick squeeze. She left without another word to anyone else.
__________

Valarie was actually bored. She spent her days away from the cave on the pier. It had been over a week. She had sustained herself on the usual animal here and there. The whole 'killing-people-to-survive' aspect had never really settled well with her.

She wandered around the boardwalk, day after day. Some nights she would catch a glimpse of Marko or Paul or even Star, but she would act as though they were strangers. It made her sad to be away from the pack, except for Star, but her stubbornness kept her from going back.

She figured she'd go get Laddie and see what he wanted to do. Even if it was something she had done a thousand times that week, just doing it with him made it more enjoyable.

And then David happened.

"You can't take him," David stated flatly.

She frowned, crossing her arms. "Excuse me?"

He leaned back in his seat. "I said, you're not taking him."

"And why not?" she persisted.

"Because he's still training. You're not taking him."

Valarie turned away from him as tears pricked her eyes. She quickly wiped them before facing him again. "David, this isn't fair! Do you not care that I was unhappy enough to leave the pack, but now, you won't even let me see the one person that gives me even a little bit of happiness."

"Maybe I really don't care," he replied.

"I can't believe I actually had feelings for you!" she exploded.

David looked at her, confusion written on his face. "You had feelings for me?"

"Yes! I did." Valarie ran a hand through her dark brown hair. "But then you were all over Star and now... I have to go." She spun around and ran out of the cave.

David, who had stood up without realizing it, was in shock. He never thought... He never could have guessed...

That night, Valarie aimlessly weaved in and out of the crowds. Her mind was reeling with a thousand thoughts. David. Star. The dude that just ran into her. Laddie.

Despite the hoards of people, Laddie found her. "Valarie!" he hollered, running towards the tall girl.

She squatted down and scooped him up in her arms. "Laddie! Oh my gosh! Who are you here with? Did you come here by yourself?"

He shook his head. "No. David brought me to look for you."

She furrowed her brows, looking up behind Laddie to see David still making his way through the crowd. She snapped straight up, letting go of the little boy. "David."

A small grin was on his lips as he stopped in front of her. "I might have failed to mention having some feelings for you too."

I hope this is okay. I've never done a xOC before, so I figured it would read better as 3rd person. I hope you like it and thank you for requesting! M'kay.

~Mariah