68: Bill S. Preston (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure)

He was lucky he was cute because his obliviousness was about to drive you up a wall.

Prom was just around the corner, and you wanted nothing more than to go with Bill. You had bonded over music and had become fast friends. Not that it was difficult to be friends with such an easy-going guy. But it was proving difficult to be anything more than friends because he didn't seem to be picking up on your hints.

You tried being more physical, in small, natural ways. Touching his shoulder a bit longer than usual when getting his attention, messing with his hair, and comparing hand sizes were just a few of the things you tried. When that proved to be ineffective, you tried a more direct approach. You started bringing up prom into your conversations.

"I wonder what music they'll play. It would be pretty lame if they don't play good music."

But still, Bill remained unfazed. "Yeah, I guess. Prom seems kinda bogus anyway."

Your heart sank. "Right. Yeah, I guess it is." You continued to flip through the magazine you were holding, not really paying attention to the contents.

"You know, you've been talking about prom a lot lately..." Bill started, and you could practically see the gears turning. "Do you need help finding a date?"

If this was a game of Battleship, he would have lost by now. "Uh, yeah. You could say that."

He broke out into that big goofy smile of his. "Oh! Why didn't you just say that start with. I bet Ted would go with you if you asked."

You bit your tongue to keep from letting yourself get too worked up. "Well, I don't really want to go with Ted. Don't get me wrong, I think he's great, but I'm sure he'd rather go with someone else."

"Oh." He nodded in understanding, brow furrowed in thought again. "How about that guy Lloyd in our math class?"

"Lloyd has a girlfriend."

"Mark? He's got a stellar car."

"Dude! Mark's my cousin."

"Right... Greg?"

"Why don't you want to go with me?"

It took him a second to digest your words. "Woah, you want to go with me?"

"Of course, I do. I've been trying to be subtle. I wanted you to ask me because you wanted to." You sighed. "Not because I wanted you to."

He looked more confused. "I most definitely did not understand what you just said, but it would be pretty odious of me to leave you hanging."

This time you were confused. "Wait... what?"

"Y/N Y/l/N, it would be most righteous if you would accompany me to prom," he declared, doing his best to seem proper.

And, boy, did it melt your heart. "Of course!" A thought made you hesitate. "And you're not just asking because you feel bad for me?"

"You see, I wanted to ask you," his cheeks were turning a warm shade of pink, "but I kept chickening out."

You smiled, quickly giving him a kiss on the cheek. "So what color dress should I get?"

"You'd look hot in anything," he replied, grinning.

I rlly had to look up a guide to Bill and Ted speech and I still couldn't get to sound right. Oh well.

I hope the prom theme didn't make anyone feel too bad considering the current circumstances. I feel rlly bad for the seniors this year for obvious reasons, and I hope you all are doing well right now.

M'kay.

~Mariah