37. Diane Lane

You whistled at the sight of her. "Look at that beauty queen!"

Diane tossed her hair back and sashayed towards you. She stopped in front of you, striking a pose, as you pretended to be a photographer.

"You're gonna win prom queen for sure." You took in her attire.

The emerald dress pooled around her feet and shimmered even as she stood still. It complimented her ginger hair.

She laughed at that, though you were both sure it was going to happen. "But look at you! You look amazing!" She gushed over your outfit, pointing out how well the color suited your complexion. "Let's go knock 'em dead!" She linked arms with you, walking to the car.

You had promised each other freshman year that you would go to senior prom together. Despite both of you attracting many offers for the 'dance of the decade,' as the theme that year was, you both made good on your promise, refusing each hopeful asker.

When you two stepped into the decorated venue, a familiar song was playing, and there were already people dancing.

You pulled a reluctant Diane onto the dancefloor. "Oh, we're dancing, whether you like it. It's prom, Diane!" You had to shout over the music.

She smiled and shook her head at your wild dance moves but nonetheless pulled out a few moves of her own. "I love this song!" she squealed when the next one had begun.

It was an older rock song, and Diane was all in. All the time put into fixing her hair went to waste as she head banged and spun without a care. You laughed, watching as bobby pins flew from her hair.

"Y/n, your hair is a mess," she giggled once the song was over.

You raised your eyebrows and laughed. "Di, you should see your hair. Now that's a mess."

You looked at each other and, as if through telepathy, said "Bathroom break," at the same time.

Of course the restroom was full of girls touching up their makeup and hair and whatnot. It took forever just to get a good look of yourselves in the mirror.

"You wanna leave?" Diane suggested, upon leaving the chaos that was the girls restroom.

You shrugged. "May as well. What else is there to do? They don't even have food."

There was a neon-lit drive-in diner about 10 minutes down the road from the venue, and that's where you two found yourselves, sitting at metal picnic tables in your prom outfits with milkshakes and fries.

"This is like one of those weird teen movies." You took a bite of a fry and chewed thoughtfully.

Diane gave you a look of question.

"I just mean that this could just have easily been a scene from 'American Graffiti' as it is real life." You shrugged. "I don't know. This is just a very American scene."

At this, Diane smiled and took a drink of her milkshake. "Well, then."

This is so short. Uggh. I know prom has come around, and I felt like this would be cute bc friendships are the actual best. Hopefully I am motivated enough this week to finish out my requests. But yeah, this is my last full week of school, and luckily I can do most of my finals early (and I'm exempt from one of them). M'kay.

~Mariah