42. J. D. (Heathers)

For teenagedoll

J. D. looked you in the eye, trying to keep you calm. "Listen- listen to me. Isabelle, listen to me." His tone alone steadied your panicked breathing. "It's not a big deal. All we did was get rid of a couple problems."

You took a few more shaky breathes, nodding your head. "Right.. right. A couple of problems. Not people. Just problems." Finally calmed down, you smiled a little. "I could have used a warning, though."

He pulled you to him,kissing your forehead. "See, you get it."

"I get it."

"Let's go eat." He put the key in ignition and started the car.
__________

You looked into the mirror of the fast food place bathroom. Your fair face was clean again, and you had washed the blood from your hands. Ut wouldn't have been there if you had not gotten on your knees and touched the wound, but you had to know it was real, that what you had done was real.

A knock at the restroom door interrupted your thoughts, making you jump slightly.

"Just a minute," you managed to respond in an even voice. You took one more deep breath and dried your hands before leaving the bathroom.

The little girl that had been waiting for you gave you a look of both curiosity and impatience. "Um, your hair has some.." She gestured to her own hair. "Leaves?"

You reached up and pulled the remnants of your woodland adventure out of your hair. "Oh. Thanks."

The girl smiled and took her turn in the restroom.

You sat down across from J. D., your food laid out in front of you. "What'd you get me?"

He worked through his bite of cheeseburger. "I didn't know what drink you'd want, so I got you a Coke."

You took a big gulp of the soda. "Thanks." I seem to be saying that a lot today, you thought. "So what now?"

He furrowed his brows in questioning. "What do you mean?"

"What now?" you repeated. "Is this going to happen again? If so, who next? When do we stop? What if we get caught?"

He smiled and took hold of your hand. "Isabelle, don't you worry. Eat. Relax. We'll figure it out, okay? I've got this, babe."

"Okay, J. D. You got this."
__________

It was easier the second time. Sure you threw up behind a bush, but that was it. Then you got in his car and held his hand and waited to hear about it at school.

It was strange how one person could change your entire outlook on life.

Before J. D., you had been perfectly content to tolerate the idiots you went to school with, you had been just drifting through school and waiting for it to be over. You had some friends, you had some hobbies, and that was all you thought you needed.

Then he moved to your school, and he made you feel like no other. He was intriguing, mysterious. Every beautiful cliché that people tell you to avoid, especially your parents. He showed you how you could go through high school without those idiots, or, at least, all of them. He showed you that a life was only worth as much as you put into it. "Get rid of the ones that make life hard for everyone, and you're fine," he'd say before kissing you. "Just get a slushie from the 7/11, you'll feel better."

When you associated what you'd been doing with the frozen contents of a large styrofoam cup, it didn't seem so bad.  You were just hanging out with your boyfriend. Get a little dirty. Get something to eat. It was fun. So what if you got a brain freeze now and then. It was a harmless brain freeze.

But everyone seemed to be wearing a lot more black lately.

Wow did I actually write this?? I hope you like it! Thank you once again for requesting! (Is it bad that I actually rlly like this one? 😂) Anyway, don't commit murder guys, it's illegal in most places, and I don't need y'all ending up in prison, alright? M'kay.

~Mariah