38. Dallas Winston (The Outsiders)

For  -devilicious

You glanced back at the clerk, who was clearly growing suspicious. "Dally," you whispered, your voice thick with the emotions that hadn't quite calmed yet. "Are you sure?"

He didn't answer you. Instead, he took the magazine he had been aimlessly flipping through.

"You have to pay for that," he clerk reminded Dallas.

You let out a deep breath and snatched the closest thing you could find and hurried after Dallas, who was now face to face with the store clerk.

The next moments were a frantic mess. Dallas told you to run, and as you did, you turned back long enough to see the pain in his expression has he held the weapon out at the clerk.

Halfway down the street and out of breath, you could hear distant sirens. You stopped to see if Dally was close by, and it was like he had magically transported next to you.

One second, you were looking for him in the dark, and the next, he's yelling fo you to keep running.

When the first police car came in sight, you knew it was over. That sinking feeling in your gut was only adding to the confusion.

And when they said for you two to stop, you did.

Dally, who had never been one to do what he was told, kept going. He actually looked eager to tease the cops, whose guns were drawn and pointed straight at him.

"No!" Your voice rang out as each bullet pierced his body. You didn't need to know how many had hit him to know he was gone.

It was as if they had shot you too. You dropped to the ground, sobbing.

And then there was Ponyboy and his brothers and Steve and Two-bit.

Ponyboy was right next to you on the pavement, pressed close for comfort.

"First Johnny, and now Dally! Who else am I gonna lose?" You tugged at your black hair.

"Hailee," Darry spoke carefully through his own tears. "We lost them too."

You looked up at Darry. "I lost my friend, and then my boyfriend. It's not the same for you. I loved Dallas. I loved him!" You broke down again.

One of the guys carried you home, though you hardly noticed. Your heart hurt too much to notice. You realized that you would never get to spend time with Dallas again. You'd never get to kiss him, go out to the movies, or get into trouble with him again.

It was months before you even left your room. Even more before you left your house. You knew you weren' the only one hurting, but you felt as though your whole world has collapsed in on itself.

When any of the gang came over to check on you or if you happened to see them in town, they avoided the topic of Dallas Winston. They knew better. Sometimes you wished they'd ask, but you knew better too.

Uggghhhh I'm sorry if the store scene is all messed up. I haven't watched or read it in a good while. This is wow. I'm actually kinda sad about that ending. Thank you for requesting! And I really hope you liked it! M'kay.

~Mariah