91: Whoever You Want

Sometimes love is two kids playing tag.

Sometimes it's an elderly couple waking up to eat breakfast together as the sun rises.

Sometimes love is the feverish intensity between two teenagers' lips.

Sometimes it's a person petting their dog.

And sometimes it's crying on the curb because you just miss him so much.

Love manifests itself in beautiful ways. In unexpected ways. In painful ways. You could never wrap your mind around it. Love was never something you tried to understand. It was something you desperately wanted to feel.

You looked for it everywhere. Your parents were first, and whether they gave it or not, it left you unsatisfied. Then came friends, and all of the platonic affection in the world couldn't fill the void in your heart.

It disgusted you a little, this incessant desire for romance. A person was worthy of feeling complete and happy without a love life. You knew this. You preached it. But there was just something about the idea of being swept off your feet...

And he would never do it. Or not completely. You had been damn near head over heels for him, but he would never see it. Maybe he was ignoring it.

All you knew was that you had fallen for him, and he didn't seem to want to catch you. You had fallen and hit the pavement, your love bleeding out onto the sidewalk.

Hints went over his head.

"I trust you more than most people," you'd said. Maybe it was the wording.

He just smiled and gave you a side hug. "Aw, thanks, Y/n. I guess that's why we're such good friends."

Anonymous acts of love were brushed aside.

"Oohh," you sang, finding him reading the note you left. "Secret admirer?"

"I guess," he shrugged, tossing the note back into his locker. "Oh well. Did you do the homework?"

You were so close to losing it, but you had to talk yourself down. You couldn't be mad about him not reciprocating you're feelings. He couldn't help it. But you couldn't help that it hurt.

What you could be mad about was how obvious your feelings were and how he wouldn't address it. He would never tell you if he didn't like you back. He never told you it was out of the realm of possibilities, and that's what you clung to. That infinitesimal speck of possibility that you might be able to wedge yourself into.

All you wanted was to know. You just wanted to know, yes or no. Did he feel something even similar for you? Did he find the idea of being with you repulsive? Would you ever even know?

Then he looked you in the eyes, smiling ear to ear, and he said, "I like someone. They're really great."

And, of course, you couldn't help but smile back. He's happy, so you must also be happy! "Really? That's great. Do I know them?"

"Well, you know that girl I work with?"

And you knew.

Normally a person and a plot come to my head at the same time, but this time I just had the idea and no one was catching, so it's up to you. Who came to mind for you?

Also, big apologies for the angst and unrequited love. We only yearn here apparently. M'kay.

~Mariah