98: Neil Perry (Dead Poets Society)

For @beepbeepbilliam (idk why it won't let me tag you here :/ )

"It looks just like Pink," you whispered to your friend.

She took in the hallway and nodded.

The girls of Pinkerton Preparatory—Welton Academy's sister school in the neighboring county—were currently on a class trip to the all-boys' school. It was an annual thing, and the only thing anyone talked about was getting to see people of the opposite sex a couple times. It was a week long affair complete with picnic lunches and activities. Something about history or some nonsense. You didn't pay attention to the lecture on the bus ride over.

But your observation was correct. Both boarding schools were large brick buildings with a few dormitory wings and traditionally boring classrooms. Nothing cool or different. Even the trophy cases looked similar, though Pinkerton's was a bit smaller, as it hadn't been around as long.

You were about to make another comment to your friend when you saw him. Tall, coffee-colored hair, and gentle features. He was smiling and talking with a couple of other guys, but he had all your attention.

You never believed in love at first sight, but this was damn near close enough for you.

The guide, one of Welton's teachers whose name you hadn't bothered to retain, stopped the boys. "Ah, and here are some of our bright pupils now! Girls, these young men are Charles Dalton-" another brown haired boy with a flirty smirk gave a casual wave, "Steven Meeks-" this time the bespectacled ginger indicates himself, "and Neil Perry." Him.

He put a hand up and had an awkward smile on his face, like the one you wore when your parents introduced you to more of their socialite friends.

"These boys all have successful futures ahead of them," the teacher continued. "And I'm sure they will all be," he casted a disapproving look at the flirty one, Charles, who was winking at a girl in your group, "more than willing to tell you all about their time here at Welton Academy during our luncheon. Thank you boys. You may continue on your way."

As the trio made their way past your group, Neil met your eyes—you couldn't help but stare as he walked by—and sent you a little smile. One you shyly returned.

You practically counted the minutes to when the picnic began.

There was a surprisingly nice setup for the picnic lunch. A few of the Pinkerton girls that had taken this trip before were already mingling with the boys they had met on previous visits, while it was obvious who the first-timers were, huddling together at a distance.

You tried to casually look around, hoping to not seem so obvious that you were searching for someone, but your friend knew better.

"Looking for your new boyfriend?" she teased.

You sighed dramatically. "He was just so beautiful."

"I saw the look he gave you," she said. "I think it's meant to be."

You knew she was kidding, but you wanted it to be true so bad. As you were about to give up on finding him, she tapped your shoulder and pointed not too far away.

"There's your man, Y/n."

He was even prettier in the sunlight.

"Oh no, he's looking this way," you gulped as you quickly tried to avert your gaze.

Your friend, who had not shied away from looking, patted your back. "Well, I guess you're gonna hate this: he's walking this way."

Your eyes widened in panic. "Oh-"

But he was already beside you. "Hello! You were in the group that Mr. Price was leading, right?"

You and your friend both nodded.

Seeing as she wasn't paralyzed by a crush, your friend stuck out her hand. "Neil, right? This is my friend, Y/n. My name doesn't matter right now." She shook his hand firmly and briefly before glancing over her shoulder. "Oh, you know what. I'm going to find a restroom. I had to hold it the whole tour. I'll be back."

She left you two staring at the ground.

"She's playing matchmaker," he noted.

You awkwardly laughed. "I- what? Huh?" You were sputtering and really wished you could bury yourself.

But luckily, he just laughed and shook his head. "My friends were trying to do the same thing. They told me if I didn't come talk to you that they would try to be my wingmen, and, uh..." he twisted around to reveal a few guys watching from the distance, all of whom gave thumbs up. "Yeah, that would have been worse." He turned back to you.

You giggled, feeling relieved. "So, were you going to tell me about your wonderful years at Welton Academy, or did you have something else in mind?"

"Oh, I'd be happy to tell you all about it," he grinned. "As long as you promise to regale me with what it's like to be a Pinkerton Prep girl."

"Well, first of all, we call it Pink. The only people that call it Pinkerton are probably over the age of 35."

"Duly noted. Our special name for this lovely establishment is Hellton."

"I'm sure it's more than deserved." You noticed everyone beginning to line up for food. "I guess they're going to feed us now. You know, you wanted to..."

He quickly nodded. "Let's fall in then."

You spent the whole lunch hour—and the rest of the week—getting to know each other and your respective friends. That Friday, you both made promises to write and, with your schools being so close, possibly meeting up on your free time.

By the next time the trip to Welton occurred, let's just say you and Neil were quicker to find each other and a private place to be together.

I kinda rlly hate the ending, but I didn't want you to wait an eternity for me to decide how to end it. I hope you like it despite the ending!

And yes, I definitely named the school after Pinkalicious. It was the first name that came to mind and it sounded uppity enough to be a boarding school. Also, we love alliteration here.

M'kay.

~Mariah