93: Ponyboy Curtis (The Outsiders)

For Rosey1013

Ponyboy Curtis was not a subtle guy. At least, he wasn't intentionally subtle. He thought that he was overtly obvious in making any and all of his opinions clear, but when it came to you, it was like he was communicating in a different language.

If he spotted you out alone, he was the first to offer to walk you to wherever you were going.

"For protection," he reasoned. "You never know what kind of riffraff is hanging around these streets."

You would giggle and agree. That's just how Ponyboy is. He'd do it for anyone. Besides, being Dallas Winston's sister didn't exactly make you an easy target.

The boy hardly glanced at other girls if you were around. As he got up into high school, he gained a little more attention from girls in the neighborhood. But none could capture his attention like you.

It was a classic case of 'everyone knows but you,' and it was starting to wear him out.

He bought you little things here and there. He made study dates with you. He visited the place you worked any time he knew you had a shift.

He thought you were getting it.

But then you said, "Aw, Pony, you're gonna make some broad real happy one day," and he lost it.

"What do you mean 'some broad'?" he questioned, an unfamiliar frown settling into his brow.

His response took you aback. You had meant it as a compliment. "Well, I- it's just that you're so sweet, and-"

"Am I not sweet enough for you? I have to date some other girl?"

Your breath caught in your throat. He sounded so angry, but his words were telling you something completely different. "What?"

"Flor," he sighed, pausing to calm himself down. He didn't mean to sound so angry, but dammit- "I've been after you for quite some time now. Every person on the damn street knows it. Why don't you?"

You blinked a couple times. "I never realized..." your voice trailed off. He already knew you hadn't realized. That's what started this. "I always just thought you were being friendly. I guess I just thought with my brother being Dally and all that you wouldn't want to go out with me."

His expression softened. "Oh, I can deal with Dally."

You gave him a look. "Mmhm, right."

"Okay. Maybe I can't," he relented. "But I'd let him beat me up if it meant I'd get to take you out for just one date."

You closed the space between the two of you and rested your hand on his cheek, grinning like a Cheshire. "I guess I'll get some bandages then. Pick me up around 7, tonight." With a peck on the lips, you spun on your heel and sauntered away.

I hope you like it!! Also I hope it doesn't sound too rushed. I have to leave for work soon, but I had already had this started and wanted to finish before I came home tired. Thank you for requesting!

AU where Dally and Johnny are alive and kicking bc I realized that I said Pony was up into hs and then mentioned Dallas so... yeah. We like to pretend here. M'kay.

~Mariah