Chapter 37 - Zara

"Zara, I don't like the look of them

"Zara, I don't like the look of them. They've made the same turns we have, the last five turns we've made." Tara said, pushing her dark hair out of her face. She's sixteen, three years younger than me. We both look a lot older though, with the stress of looking out for Kara and Lara. Kara's thirteen, and Lara's fifteen.

"I know. Listen," I said, "Stay hidden, and keep Kara and Lara hidden too. Don't worry about me."

"But-" Tara started to say.

"No! I need to know you're safe." I cut her off. "Please."

"Fine." Tara's bright blue eyes flashed with emotion. I couldn't catch them all, but fear was one of them. Fear for me, that I wouldn't make it out alive. I softened.

"If we both die, no one will be left to care for them." I said, gesturing at our sisters. People often mistake us for two sets of twins. Tara and I, Lara and Kara.

"I know, I just worry." Tara whispered, "Come on, be quiet and still." She whispered instructions to Lara and Kara. For some reason, Tara and I can control the shadows. Lara can control light. We don't tell anyone, in fear of being sent away.

"Hey! Grease! You're just white trash with long greasy hair!" taunted the boys trailing us.

"And what are you? White trash with short greasy hair?" I shot back. As far as I can tell, the poor people are called greasers. I was trying to concentrate on the shadows, without tuning out to them.

"Get her." ordered the leader. They all pull out switches, and encircle me.

"Well, I see you aren't as brave as you look." taunted a blond one.

"And your hair's much greasier than it looked from back there!" I spat.

"Feisty, aren't you?" he sneered. Then, he lunged. I screamed, hoping someone would care enough to help.

"Don't hurt me." I whispered, trying one last thing. Maybe, they won't hurt me too bad, at least.

"Too late." said the leader, before drawing a long cut down my arm.

"Hey!" someone shouted, "Pick on someone who ya actually have a reason to hate!" He swung at the first Soc's jaw. I screamed again, this time from the pain.

"Get back to your own territory!" another boy shouted, this one with dark hair, as a group of people came running over.  When my attackers saw them coming, they ran away, but not before cutting a long gash in my side. I collapsed.

"Zara, ya can't die." whispered Tara. She was cradling my head in her lap. Lara and Kara were kneeling beside her. "We need you."

"Tara, you can do it." I  whispered. I was getting weaker. She needed to take care of Kara and Lara.

"Hey, you won't die if you eat these." said a blonde girl, as she pressed something into my wounds. "Come on, eat these." Another girl came running up, and gently pressed something into my mouth. I tried to swallow them.