Chapter 66 - Dex

I heard Keefe come in. Biana was talking quietly to him. Then, silence fell. Sleep quickly drew me in after that.

"Not another one." I muttered. These dreams, they leave me tired in the morning.

"Who are you?" someone whispered. It was so quiet, I barely heard it.

"Where are you?" I asked, "I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to know how my cousin is. And the twins. And even Wonderboy. I hope I didn't kill him, by helping them get to Tulsa." I hope they aren't dead. I hope they're fine. I hope they come back soon.

"I'm here." The voice was very quiet. "How do you know where I'm from?"

"I had a dream. Dallas Winston. He's conceited, but not like those stuffy nobles. Dex Dizznee, Technopath. Sophie's my cousin." I stepped out of the shadows. I wish I knew who this mystery person was.

"Where are we? I don't want to go back." he asked. It was definitely a boy's voice.

"Back where?" I asked.

"It was cold. Black, jagged emptiness." he whispered, "Is this there, or is this a dream?" He stepped out of the shadows timidly.

"It's a dream. I think. A broken mind, I think it would have to be different. I don't think we could meet." I paused, thinking. What he described, was a broken mind. I don't think he'd be able to be in a dream like this, if his mind was broken. "Did Sophie heal you?"

"I think. Her and Tess." he whispered.

"Yep, me and Sophie." said a girl, stepping out of the shadows. "Fancy meeting you here, Johnnycakes."

"Second dream we've had together." he whispered. Biana mentioned that her dream was about Tess and Johnny. That's probably who they were.

"Crazy, huh?" she said.

"I'm Dex." I said, "You're Tess? And you're Johnny?"

"Yeah, why?" Tess reached for something in her pocket.

"I wanted to see who my cousin was living with. Sophie." I grinned. "She's my best friend."

"Oh, I guess I don't need this." Tess pulled out her switch. "Too bad, I wanted to show it off to someone new."

"When you meet Keefe, you should show it off." I smiled mischievously. "I know he'd totally appreciate it." Time to prank the prankster.

"Okay." Tess said, "I hope Darry remembered to get Two. If he didn't, Two would probably still be out there, waiting for you."

"Oh no, that ain't good." Johnny whispered.

"It's Two. He'll be fine." Tess whispered. "He's got his switch."

"I'd just feel bad, if he was waiting that long." Johnny whispered.

"So, Tess, do you like makeovers?" I asked, trying to get information for Biana's makeovers.

"Not really." Tess replied, "Only for a rumble. Show those Socs that they're not the only ones who have class."

"Okay." I said, "Do you like Truth or Dare? We were thinking of playing it, when we meet you guys."

"Yeah." Tess said, "If Dal's alright, we should play tomorrow."

"We should." Johnny said.

"Tomorrow." Tess said, "With or without Dally."

"What happened to him?" I asked, confused.

"He got shot by the fuzz." Tess said sadly. "He lost it, after Johnny's mind broke. He wouldn't listen to reason."

"Tam managed to keep most of them away." Johnny whispered, "It hit his waist, but nothing else."

"Well, he's not dead." Tess smiled, "We'll see if he's allowed to leave the hospital tomorrow."

"And if he isn't?" I asked.

"Dally'll force his way out." Johnny whispered, "He doesn't like authority. He does the exact opposite of what they tell him to do."

"He likes proving them wrong." Tess added, "What is it like, where you live?"

"It's different." I said, "Most people think we live in a perfect society, but we don't. It's full of cracks, that will only get bigger. I don't know why nobody else can see it. Except for the Black Swan."

"What are the problems?" Tess asked.

"If you don't have an ability, you're considered Talentless." I whispered, "You get classified as a Bad Match, if you marry someone who has an ability. Your children are scorned."

"You sound like you've gone through that." Tess whispered.

"My parents are a Bad Match." I muttered, "I'm a Technopath, which proves those stuffy nobles wrong. Even if you are a Bad Match, your children can still manifest."

"Savvy." Tess whispered, "I think I'm gonna wake up soon."

"Same." Johnny whispered, "Hopefully, we'll see you again. You dig okay."

"Cool." I said, "Bye."

The darkness swirled, and faded.

I was in the bedroom Biana had given me. I got out of bed, and got dressed. I needed to tell her about that dream. I wondered why we keep dreaming about them.

I heard a knock on my door. "Dex." Biana whispered, "Did you have-"

"Another dream." I finished.

I opened the door, and found Biana and Keefe there.

"Hey." Keefe said, running his hand through his hair. I could tell he'd already styled it, which took hours.

"Hey." I replied, "So, those dreams. Who did you get?"

"I got Two-Bit." Keefe said, "I wish I knew what chocolate cake was."

"I got Dallas." Biana muttered, "He was so ornery. He got shot."

"In the waist." I whispered, "I got Johnny and Tess. She told me that Tam managed to deflect most of the bullets. Probably telekinesis."

"Probably." Biana said, "Dallas, he threw his arms up, even though he was shot. Then, he cursed."

"I want Two-Bit to get here. We can have so much fun pranking people." Keefe smirked. 

"Keefe! No pranks!" Biana shouted.

"Not even on the stuffy nobles that shop at Slurps and Burps?" Keefe asked.

"Only there." Biana sighed. "Please, Keefe. No other pranks."

"Fine. You do realize that you're no fun, though?"

"Not your idea of fun." Biana said.

"Your much funner than Keefe, and his pranks." I grinned at Keefe's shocked expression.

"Dex, I thought we were friends!" he said dramatically.

"We are, I just don't think your pranks are that much fun." I said, "Oh, by the way, the greasers like Truth or Dare. I asked Johnny and Tess."

"Oh, cool. Does Tess like makeovers?" Biana asked.

"She only likes them before a rumble." I said, "Tess seems more of a tomboy. I don't think she'll like these clothes."

"Well, I'll dare her into a makeover." Biana smiled.

"Okay." I said.

"I am so daring Two-Bit to prank Master Cadence!" Keefe smirked, "Effluxers. And Lady Cadence. This is going to be so much fun."