Chapter 63 - Tess

"Maria, come on. They'll take Dal to the hospital, and put him in surgery." I said, "He'd want you to go home."

"Okay." she whispered, her face blank.

"I'll get him." Darry whispered, gently scooping Pony's limp body up, and cradling his limp body close to his chest.

"Not getting in that." Linh said, pointing at Darry's beat up truck.

"I'll meet y'all at home." Alyssa said, "I want to stay with you, Sophie."

Fitz and Tam stayed with Sophie, Linh, and Alyssa. I got into Darry's truck, with Pony and Maria on either side of me. Soda's in the front with Darry. The rest of the gang piles into the back.

The drive is silent, except for Two's voice, rambling on about the most obscure things. He was still working off the beers he'd drank before the rumble.

"Pony, wake up." I whispered,  shaking him. He's out cold, dead to the world. It's funny, usually he's a light sleeper.

"He ain't gonna wake up for a while." Soda murmured.

"I'll guess I'll have to carry him." Darry sighed.

"He's getting mighty big to be carried." Soda whispered.

"I'm gonna go in." I said. I entered quietly, because I heard Steve talking seriously. He never does that, not unless it's a Soc he's talking to.

"You both hide behind a brassy veneer, and make jokes when you're feeling down. You're reckless, but you have good intentions. You just don't think." I heard Linh say.

"Humph." Steve grunted, "You dig okay. Much better than him." He glared at Tam.

"Hey." Alyssa said, bursting in the door. "Channeling is cool."

"You have some raw talent." Fitz said, "It took me a lot longer to get to that level."

"Wow, someone's outshone Wonderboy." Tam drawled.

"I did too." Sophie said, "I manifested at the age of five."

"We know that." Tam said, "The more ways he gets outshone, the better."

"Well, we should work on Johnny." Sophie whispered, "This gang is going to fall apart, if we don't heal Johnny."

"Fine." Fitz whispered, "Just, be careful. And at the first sign of exhaustion, get out." His teal eyes held her brown ones for a long minute.

"We're home!" Two shouted.

"Don't slam the-" I started to say.

SLAM!

"Door." I finished.

"Oops." Two shrugged.

"I'll get him in bed." Soda whispered.

"Okay." Darry said, passing Pony to Soda.

"Tess, I have everyone's memories, except for your's." Sophie said, "Can I see them?"

"Sure." I said. She walked over to me, and placed her fingers on my temples.

A long minute passed, and she took her fingers off.

"Fitz, is this what it felt like, before you got past my walls?" she asked.

"Huh?" he asked.

"Try to get into Tess' mind."

"Okay." He placed his fingers on my temples, and held them there for another long minute.

"See?" Sophie asked.