Matt | Promise | Part 2!

A/n: This one was requested by avabeatty03 ! I hope you like it, I really enjoyed making it.

Word count- 1142 words

Enjoy~

Your POV

Tears rolled down my face as I laid on the hill near the Garrison. It was a special place to me, as it was where Matt asked me out, confessing his love to me. After that we would spend a lot of time here, as usually we were the only people around. But now I was here crying, as Matt and the rest of crew were pronounced dead.

I looked down at the ring on my hand. He'd promised me that he'd come home, he had promised he would return to marry me.

Every day seemed to get more and more real for me. Right now I could just imagine that he was out there in space, on Kerberos like he should be. But in a few months when he should be returning, I would truly have to accept the fact that he is gone.

That hasn't stopped me from not wanting to believe it.

I had a feeling that he wasn't truly dead. But what if it was just my brain telling me that to try and diminish some of this pain in my heart.

Katie was in denial too, maybe because she too didn't want to accept the death of her brother and father. She's been trying to figure it out, doing anything to get intel on the missing three. It even got her kicked out. But with some help from me she got out back in, this time as a boy named Pidge Gunderson.

I almost got kicked out as well, As I was flunking most of my classes. I couldn't seem to focus on school anymore. I always had a bit of trouble, but Matt always helped me. But now I was facing the fact that he would never return, which made my problem even worse. I had to live on the fear that I was going to be kicked out any day, but Pidge and her mom convinced me to bring my grades back up. They told me to do it for Matt, as he wouldn't want me to grieve about him, he would want me to move on.

But how could I ever move on from Matt? He was the best thing that had ever happened to me, my sun, my rock, my moon. But they convinced me enough to try hard enough so I wouldn't be expelled.

Which a later learned was one of the best things I've ever done, because it allowed me to see Matt again.
.
The crew of Voltron and myself have been in space for months now, trying to defeat the Galra. Pidge and I also had a small side mission of finding Matt and her dad, as we had gotten information of their existence.

We had thought he had died, as we found a graveyard of the dead Galra prisoners. We found his name on a stone, and I almost lost hope there and then. But we soon realized that his birthday was wrong, and that it was instead coordinates.

That brought us to an underground bunker. And that's where we were now.

Pidge and I walked into the late room, we immediately noticed how how empty it felt, as if there had been no one there in years.

But a figure jumped out of the shadows, holding a large staff. Pidge and I already had our bayards out, and we charged, as the figure already started to advance.

My gun was almost no use in this close of a space, I ditched it for my fists. I've been practicing combat for years, so when the figure advanced on me I dodged the hit, grabbing the staff in my hands and twisting, causing the person to fly across the room.

They summersaulted, standing back up. But Pidge was there waiting, trying to wrap the person up in her weapon. They escaped, using this staff to deflect it.

I ran up behind them and kicked their legs from under them. On the way down I caught glimpse of light brown eyes boring into my own.

I gasped lightly, as I knew those eyes better than even my own.

Pidge was about to attack once more, this time aiming to sharp blade at the persons head.

"Pidge, Stop! That's-"

Matt pulled the rest of his mask off just before Pidge stopped.

"Pidge? (Y/n)?" He asked.

"Matt!" Pidge cried out, jumping into her brothers arms.

I just stood in shock as they had their family reunion. It was Matt. He was alive. All of those thoughts and scenarios I've been making up in my head, telling me that he was alive, they were real. Matt was standing right in front of me.

Matt slowly stood up, looking into my eyes the whole time.

He had grown up so much. He looked different from the young boy I fell in love with, he looked more mature. He also had a scar running down his left cheek. But I knew it was him, as his light brown eyes were the same, and they were boring right into my own.

"(Y/n), I-I can't believe-"

"Matt! It's really you!" I flung myself at him, wrapping my arms around his torso. Tears started to roll down my face, as I had my boyfriend in my arms once more.

"I missed you so much, (y/n), there was never one day I didn't think of you. I'm so sorry I didn't come back like I promised." He said, looking into my eyes.

"I know you didn't mean it." I said. "It's okay, because your alive and I found you."

I stood on my toes to kiss him on the lips. It felt so right, even if it's been so long.

When we finally pulled away he took my hands in his.

"There's one promise that I'll never break." He said as tears rolled down his face. "When we get back to Earth, when all of this is over, I promise I'm going to marry you, (y/n). I never forgot."

I just smiled and hugged him once more, savoring the feeling of being in his arms once more.

"I love you, Matt."

"I love you too."

We were in the middle of a war, a war that could end our lives, and all the lives of the universe. But for a moments we didn't need to think about it, as now we were wrapped up in each other's arms, too busy to care.
.
A/n: Aww I love writing about Matt, it's all so cute. This ones probably one of my favorite by far. But I love them all to be honest.

Feel free to leave a request down below ⬇️

Until next time.

~Becca