Pirate! Keith x Mermaid! Reader | AU | Then take me with you

A/n: Hey guys! Thank you guys so, so much for 90K reads. I love you guys so much, you have no idea of how much all of the reads, comments and votes make my day so much better. It reminds me when I'm at my lowest that I am doing something to make people happy when my brain is telling me the opposite.

Anyway, here's the request that had the most votes. Thank you to all that participated in the vote on Halloween. I hope it's good enough!

Word count- 1183 words

Enjoy~

Your POV

The moment that Keith's ship came into view in the far horizon was the moment that nothing else mattered. The loneliness and the sadness, it all went away with the whispering of the waves crashing along the rocky bank. Sure, you weren't the only mermaid that lived in the bays and lagoons of the tropical island, but Keith meant just as much- if not even more- than the rest of the mermaids and mermen.

The smile on your face was so big that it hurt. The moment that Keith's ship hit the beach he gracefully jumped off of the edge of the boat and grabbed a rope, using it to carefully slide down towards the water. He didn't care that his pants and shoes were now wet as he ran through the shallow water and towards you.

You laughed giddily as your face slammed into his chest. You wrapped your arms around his neck and attempted to pull yourself up but failed- you weren't used to doing anything out of the water. It was his turn to laugh now, but he wrapped his warm strong arms around you waist and pulled you up to his level. With a flick of your (f/c) tail a wave of water surged towards him, drenching his head and making his black locks fall onto his face. Your fingers gently pushed the strands away.

"Gosh, I missed you," he broke the silence. Purplish eyes met (e/c) in an intense loving gaze- the kind that made your stomach feel all funny on the inside.

"I missed you too, just like always," you admitted.

A big smile appeared on his face. "Hey, I got you something, I think you'll like it." He carefully set you back in the water before running over to his boat and climbing the latter.

Keith always brung something back every time that he returned. You knew that he was a pirate, and that pirates stole things, but you knew that this didn't make Keith a bad person- Human. A collection of these things were growing on your small table in your house under the surface. You loved them all so much, they reminded you that he would always come back for you eventually.

A moment later his feet touched the sandy ocean floor once more, and he was already on his way towards you. With a smile he opened his palm. "It's a sun," He said. It was a beautiful yellow stone surrounded by a dark copper outline in shapes reminding you of waves. "You're my sunshine," he said to you.

You took it into your own hand and ran your thumb over the smooth stone. "I love it," you admitted. You jumped out of the water and wrapped your arms around his neck. One of his arms went under your waist and the other under the middle of your tail, supporting you in his arms like you would with a baby almost. He pressed his lips to yours a moment later, savoring the salty taste that came off of them.

A sigh escaped your lips. Oh, what you would do to stay like this forever; to be at his side, in his arms, to stare into his dark eyes whenever you wanted. You didn't want to wait for his return anymore; to sit on a rock and stare into the horizon, waiting for your Keith to return who knows when. 

"Please don't leave me." You pulled away. This is the first time that you had actually said it out loud, even though you've been thinking of it for months. "I don't want to count all of the moons and suns while waiting for your return anymore."

"I don't want to leave, trust me, but I have to."

"Then take me with you," you said boldly. "I can't stand being without you any longer." You had no idea what this meant for you. Could you even leave, would it be possible? What was it like beyond this island- a place that no mermaid has ever been?

"You don't mean that, do to?" His eyes widened.

"Why would I joke about it?" You stated.

"But your city and people are all here- you've never left here before," he said.

"You're my people too," you said. "I need you, Keith. I don't want you to leave me behind again." A flash of guilt crossed his eyes, noticeable even when he stared off into the distance.

"I don't want to leave you, you need to understand that," he looked back to you, "I never want to leave you." He paused for a moment. "How badly to do want to come with?"

"I wouldn't want anything more," you stated.

He sighed. "I don't know how... wait... there might be a way..." He looked over to his ship like he was able to look through the wall and look at something inside of it. He looked back with you with a smile on his face, and a small nod of his head, you knew that you would be able to go with him.
.
It didn't take long to say your goodbyes. Sure, you would miss them all, especially your friends, but going with Keith somehow meant so much more to you. You realized that somehow when all of the memories came washing back like the waves on the shore. How you met- a whole adventure on its own, becoming friends here on the island, then finally falling in love and confessing as the sun set on the horizon.

"I'm ready," You said to him.

He had you wrap you arms around his neck from behind and told you to hold on as tight as you could. He started to climb the latter up to his ship, lifting both you and himself out of the water.

No more waiting, you told yourself. No more waiting for him to return, looking into the horizon every sunrise, knowing he said he would return as the sun rose above the water. And he, not sailing towards the setting sun, knowing that it would lead him to his sunshine.

He got to the top he set you down for a brief moment before picking you up in his arms and walking you over to a big tub of some sorts. He set you inside before grabbing a bucket. Hastily he tied a rope to it and threw it over the edge of the boat. Moments later he hoisted it back up, full of water, then carrying it over to the tub you laid in and pouring it in. He repeated the process until the tub was filled, even when you could see the pain and exhaustion in his movements and his eyes.

The moment you started to sail away is when you knew it was going to be all right. You weren't afraid in the slightest, you had Keith, and that's all that mattered to you.

Keith was your whole world, your Earth. And you were his sunshine.
.
A/n: I hope you liked it! Part two anyone?

See ya next time, my dudes!

~Becca