Chapter Six: Murphy's Law

Tasha's POV

*ring*

*ring*

I hummed thoughtfully as I picked up the phone. "Yellloooooo?"

"Hey — woah, slow down. What's wrong?"

"Yeah it's fine! I'll go right away."

When I hung up, I sighed deeply, but had a small smile on my face.

"Hank, you know the school that's just down the road from the Chicken shack?"

"Yeah, why?"

"While you get food I'm gonna go pick up Chloe."

"Again? That's the third time this month you've had to pick up their kid! After the day you had, I'm surprised you're not wanting to go hit up a bar."

"Not everyone enjoys alcohol, Hank." I teased, shrugging thoughtfully, "What can I say, I like kids."

Hank shrugged, "Fine by me. You ever gonna have your own?"

I nearly choked on my saliva as I reached forward, hitting him hard on the back of the head. "Fuck you, old man! Who exactly am I supposed to have a kid with?! Gavin?!"

"If you swing that way I guess." Hank teased, smirking at me through the rear view mirror.

"You're so gross, Hank!" I cried dramatically. "I could've died today."

"The car would've been a lot quieter if you had — maybe he should've let you go, don't you think, Connor?"

Connor looked at Hank, his eyes narrowed in concentration. "Tasha dying would not have been a pleasant outcome."

"It's a joke, Connor. Seriously, you need to do more research into human behaviour." Hank sighed, pulling the car over by the school.

"Don't worry, Connor," I smiled, leaned my arms on both of their seats. "This asshat couldn't last one day without me." I grinned, "I'll meet you guys at the vendor!"

I hopped out of the car, feeling rather cheery for a girl who nearly died just an hour earlier. It didn't take long to reach the school, and when I did I was greeted with a very happy, and hyper child.

"AUNTIE TASHA!"

•Connor's POV•

Connor watched Tasha as she played with the child, lifting her up into the air and spinning her around

Connor watched Tasha as she played with the child, lifting her up into the air and spinning her around. The way Tasha acted with the kid — the way she lit up around her, made Connor feel warm, and most of all confused.

Software Instability

Connor forced himself to look away from her, even though he wanted to continue to watch her with the child, he knew it wasn't an effective use of his time. It made his insides feel warm — watching Tasha with the child was cute.

And he couldn't stop himself from glancing at her, smiling whenever she caught his glance.

•Tasha's POV•

"Uncle Hank!" Chloe screamed, running towards Hank, jumping into his arms.

"Hey kiddo!" Hank laughed. It was adorable how much Hank turned into a big teddy bear when it came to Chloe. "Let's get you home."

Chloe looked up at Connor with wide eyes, "He's cute!"

"Yes he is." I covered my mouth with my hand, muffling my laughing. "Chloe, this is Connor. He's our partner."

Chloe ran up to him, grabbing onto his hand. "Hi Connor!" She giggled, pointing towards his indicator. "You're an... android?"

Connor looked down at the girl, then back at me, a look of almost confusion on his face.

"Just go along with it." I mouthed, biting my lip to attempt to hold back my grin.

Connor smiled softly at Chloe, "Hi Chloe. My name is Connor. I'm a prototype android."

"Cooooooooool!" Chloe squealed, pulling Connor over to me. "I want you both to sit in the backseat with me!"

I blushed, glancing at Connor who was staring at me, his hand still being held by Chloe. "Of course, little dove." I smiled sweetly at her.

"You three look like a dysfunctional family." Hank shook his head as he got into the front seat. "I'm going to look like a god damn taxi service."

"Language, Hank!" I scolded, giving Connor a small smile as we got into the backseat with Chloe. She sat in the middle while we each sat on either side of her.

On the way to her house, Chloe curled up into my side, yawning. "I'm tired, Auntie!"

"Go to sleep, little dove." I smiled as I kissed her forehead.

I hummed quietly as I wrapped my arm around her shoulder, letting her rest her head on my lap. I glanced over at Connor, blushing when I realized he had been staring at me the whole time. I gave him a small smile, turning my attention back to Chloe. It didn't take long for her to doze off, I rested my hand on her side while I looked out the window.

•Connor's POV•

Software Instability

Connor watched Tasha as the child slept curled into her side. He noticed her hand was very close to his own, and he felt his heart thump faster at the idea of holding her hand. He knew it wasn't his protocol — he shouldn't be feeling anything, let alone enjoying it...

She almost died today.

Connor looked over at her again, admiring every detail of her face. She was beautiful. Perfect, in every way, to him.  The idea that had he not acted, she might not have been there with him, made him feel scared.

It must be an error with my programming.

Connor slowly moved his hand, gently brushing his fingers against her own. He felt his heart jump as she turned to look at him, her green eyes meeting his in an intimate glance.

Tasha smiled at him, moving her hand so he could link his fingers with her own. Connor smiled back at her, allowing himself to brush his thumb over her fingers, admiring her.

"You... you smell nice."

Connor's words made Hank snort, while Tasha blushed and let out a small giggle. "You're cute. Thanks, Connor."

•••

A/N: Thanks for reading! Please leave any suggestions (scenes you'd like to see between Tasha + Connor, stuff like that) comments, and anything else!