Chapter Seventy-One: Learn to Let Go

Tasha's eyes gazed up into Connor's as he linked his fingers with hers. He was terrified that all of this would be too much and could potentially kill her, but he knew it was their only option left. She would relive everything. All the pain, all the suffering she had endured... but also love. She would feel the love that had grown between them. The love she had for Hank. For her parents. For Markus. For North. For everyone Tasha had ever loved in her life.

As their synthetic skin disappeared, Connor held her hand tighter, feeling Tasha let down her wall and invite him into her mind.

Tasha?

Connor called out to her, but he found himself alone in their house. Everything was black and white. And certain objects weren't even in their home currently.

Is this from when she was a child?

Connor walked around the house, finding Tasha in the backyard with her parents. He smiled at the scene. Never before had he seen her so happy, so innocently happy with no concerns. She couldn't be more than six years old. He had seen the odd photo of her as a child, but actually reliving this moment with her made him feel even more of a connection with her.

Connor had only seen one photo of Tasha with her parents, so to see them up close was also something he didn't know he needed. He wondered if they would've accepted him as their daughter did. Would they have approved of their daughter dating an Android?

The thoughts left him he watched Tasha run around the yard with her parents, a soft chuckle leaving his lips.

They all look so happy.

Peaceful.

Connor wanted that for Tasha. He wanted nothing more than for her to be happy. But as he continued to watch them, something that could only be compared to guilt swelled in his chest.

I'll never be able to give her a full life. We won't be able to have kids. Or a family.

Connor pushed the thought aside.

There's no point in feeling sorry for myself right now. I have to find Tasha.

As the scene faded in front of him, Connor furrowed his brows as he tried to find any sign of Tasha throughout the darkness.

Where are you?

•••

At this point Connor and Tasha were both on the ground, she was sobbing and crying out in pain while he held her in his arms, their hands still linked. Even though they were connected, their minds were separating them, causing them to both see each other's memories.

The memories, the emotions flooded through them both like a hurricane. He felt everything she felt and vice versa.

*Flashback*

Connor's POV

Connor found himself thinking about the way Tasha looked at him when he got shot, she was so scared... but that fear turned into rage. His gaze found her form standing with her arms crossed, in a deep conversation with Hank.

That's unusual.

As the EMT was closing up his bullet wound, Tasha glanced over at him for a moment. Their eyes met, for a split second, before she turned back to Hank. Connor continued to gaze at her though, his mind drifting to the likelihood of her death had he not intervened. 85%. While his likelihood of being shut down by the shot was under 6%. Had Tasha waited for backup, neither of them would've gotten caught in the crossfire.