Chapter Fourteen: We All Fall Down

•Connor's POV•

Connor sat in Hank's car, pondering Tasha's early leave from work that morning.

He regretted not going after her — he wasn't sure why, but the more he thought on it the worse he felt.

I'm an Android.

I am not deviant.

Connor had to repeat this in his head, he had to focus on the mission and nothing else.

Connor got out of the car after a few moments, walking over to the Lieutenant who was drinking out of a better bottle.

Not surprising really.

"Those two Androids — they seemed to be in love." Hank said thoughtfully as he took another long swig. "Maybe the deviants aren't the bad guys."

"They can simulate human emotions, but they're machines. And machines don't feel anything." Connor replied factually, trying to ignore the small feeling in his chest.

"And what are you Connor?" Hank asked as he took another swig of his drink, looking at Connor curiously. "You look human, you sound human, but what are you really?"

"I'm whatever you want me to be, Lieutenant." Connor replied, little to no hesitation to his answer. "Your partner, your buddy to drink with, or just a machine designed to accomplish a task."

Hank took a step towards him, "You could've shot those two girls, but you didn't." He then shoved Connor back a pace. "Why didn't you shoot, Connor?"

"Hmm?! Some scruples enter your program?!"

Connor was hesitant to answer. Why hadn't he shot those androids? "No... I just decided not to shoot. That's all."

Then in one swift moment Hank pointed his pistol directly between Connor's eyes. "But are you afraid to die, Connor?"

"I would certainly find it regrettable to be... interrupted before I could finish this investigation."

"What will happen if I pull this trigger? Hm? Nothing? Oblivion? Android heaven?" Hank scoffed.

"Nothing." Connor answered immediately. "There would be nothing."

Connor had never thought about his own end, whether it be during his duty or otherwise, but in that moment, thinking of simply being nothing made Connor think more than he'd intended to on the subject

But most of all, it made Connor focus on Tasha once again.

What would she do if she lost me?

Would she mourn?

Would she care if I was gone?

"You're telling me, that when you look at Tasha you don't feel anything?"