Chapter Seventy-Seven: Friendship and Love

Tasha's POV

I had been neglecting to reach out to my out of work friends ever since I became a hybrid. I had countless unread messages and emails awaiting me, but the idea of having to confront my friends was concerning. Not that I had that many friends — the messages and phone calls were mainly from Haley, and in turn Chloe.

I felt terrible for avoiding them both, but I was afraid on how they'd judge what I had become, and without my emotions I definitely didn't need to deal with it. But now, confronting my emotions head on was the only way to start living life again.

"Are you sure you're ready to do this?"

I looked over at Connor in the passenger seat who was eyeing me with concern written all over his face. His thumb brushed against my hand lovingly.

"No." I replied honestly, smiling slightly. "But if I don't confront my fears, what was the point in all of this?"

Connor cupped my face with his hand, leaning in to kiss my lips gently. He had been so gentle with me ever since my emotions came back, acting like I would break if he touched me too roughly.

"I'm here by your side." Connor let my face go reluctantly before stepping out of the car, taking no time at all before opening my door for me.

"What a gentleman." I mused, interlocking my fingers with his once I was out of the vehicle.

As we walked towards the playground, I couldn't help but smile at the children playing and laughing happily. No worries, just fun.

If only life could always stay that way.

My grip on Connor's arm tightened as I noticed Haley sitting on a picnic blanket. She hasn't noticed either of us yet, and I felt myself panicked internally.

I can't do this. She'll think I'm a freak.

Connor sensed my reluctance and fear, coming to a halt which brought me back to reality. "Everything is going to be okay, Tasha. Just breathe."

I nodded, taking a deep breath. "Thank you."

Haley had finally spotted us and I felt a knot form in my stomach. She didn't look angry, but I couldn't pinpoint what emotion was on her face, but it looked —

My thoughts were cut off as Haley ran to me, wrapping her arms around my waist and in turn pulling my arm away from Connor. Her breathing was laboured and her body was shaking.

Is she crying?

I was frozen in place as I tried to analyze the situation. I couldn't decide what to do.

"TEN MONTHS! Over ten months, Tasha! No calls, no emails — total silence from you!" Haley was sobbing against my chest. "I saw you on the news! Chloe's asked for you every day!"

I hugged her back as I felt tears come to my eyes. "I'm sorry, Hales! I was so scared. I couldn't accept what I was and I was afraid you wouldn't love me anymore."

Haley pulled back, "Love You? How could I ever stop loving you?! You're my best friend! I don't care what you are — you could be a fucking cat and I'd still love you."

"AUNTIE TASHA!"

I smiled as I turned towards the voice. I knelt down, Chloe wrapping her arms around me. "Auntie Tasha! You're here! Mommy said you'd be here!"

I felt the tears coming to my eyes again but I fought them off. "I'm here, kiddo."

Chloe pulled back, her eyes widened as she looked behind me. "You brought him with you!"