Chapter Fifty-Four: When Will My Life Begin

He knows?!

I stood silently as I waited for the captain to continue. I could feel my stress levels elevating but I tried to keep my composure, digging my nails into my palm.

Captain Fowler looked at me with a curious expression. "I am aware of your... situation, and I want you to know that in no way does what happened to you make me see you any differently as an employee. You're one of the best we have."

My heart dropped at the acknowledgment of my secret.

Great.

"How are you adjusting to everything?"

Though I was upset that the Captain knew about my

Though I was upset that the Captain knew about my... condition, I was glad that it didn't pose a threat to my position of work.

"T-thank you, sir."

"While you've been gone, there's been a spike in riots against the androids — mainly from the rich and those who were taking advantage of said androids. Some are still in hiding with their captive androids..."

While the Captain continued catching me up, I felt myself unable to concentrate as my mind played through all the possibilities of the day going wrong.

Great.

•••

Connor's POV

"Do you think she's doing alright?"

Connor's eyes were locked on the door of the Captain's office, waiting impatiently for Tasha to emerge.

"Tasha's the toughest kid I know — I'm sure she's fine, Connor."

"Yes, but she hasn't been... adapting well to her enhancements." Connor's voice was quiet as he glanced over at Hank.