Chapter Ninty-Five: Nightmares or Memories? Who the hell knows

Tasha's POV

After the proposal things quieted down for a brief time. Work was normal. Life was normal. The deviant cases were few and far between, and while there was still a lot of violence from protesters, androids were slowly being accepted into the human community. Tasha ended up being placed with Gavin more times than not for the car patrols, and whenever Chris wasn't working, Fowler insisted Tasha be partners with Gavin for the time being. It made sense, since Tasha was partners with Connor AND Hank, they didn't need her help when it came to paper work.

Tasha didn't mind working with Gavin for the most part. They worked good together.

But they were polar opposites.

Where Gavin was mean, Tasha was kind.

While Gavin hated Androids, Tasha showed compassion.

Things in Detroit were getting better. The crime rate was lowering drastically, and the city was coming together.

But things have a way of weaving through our lives and knocking us flat on our face.

This is detroit after all.

When will there ever be true harmony?

It didn't take long for the rise of android hate crimes to double, then triple... but for the moment, that was the least of my concerns.

"Mom?" I hummed thoughtfully as I looked up at her. I couldn't have been more than ten, not even.

"Yes, my darling?"

"Why is daddy gone so much?"

"Your father... works very hard to keep us safe, sweetie. He's doing what he has to do."

"Ok..."

The lies were clear. My parents were hiding something from me.

But what?

These dreams — or were they visions? Glimpses into my past that I pushed so far down that they should have never come back? Began to occur every night. At first I assumed it was due to a stressful day at work, but even on my happiest days I found myself lost in a sea of memories that made me feel like I would drown in them.

Due to the visions invading my sleep, I would never feel like I had a good rest. I was constantly tired, but I was constantly staying as far away from sleep as I could.

After a while, the visions became nightmares. I always knew remembering repressed memories would be hard to cope with, but watching my parents die almost every night became hard to bare with.

But one night, before the vision there was a flash of light — purple and white, showing me something... files? With my parents names?

I was quickly brought back to the nightmare, feeling my parents die once more. I had lost count of how many times I've relived that moment.

Connor would shake me awake, his LED usually red, lighting up the bedroom. He'd hold me in his arms until I'd calm down, which sometimes would take hours.

"I saw them again." My voice cracked as I sobbed into his chest. "Why do I keep seeing them?!"

"I don't know, Tasha." Connor held my body as close to him as he could, "But I'm here. I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere."

I nodded, the tears slowing ever so slightly. "... Before I saw them die, I saw something."

I pulled back so I could look at Connor, who wiped the tears from my face lovingly.