Prologue

*first edit*
Prologue

The flicker in the sky went by so fast that no one would have noticed if they weren't trying to look closely. But someone did notice.

***

A young girl barely of age rambled on about something to do with marriage plans, staring at her newly manicured nails and frowning whenever she counted one too many blemishes. As she talked, the man beside her was not paying a single attention to her words.

"Ugh, seriously? We went to the best nail salon in the city with the highest charges, and they still have amateur stylists? How hard is it to find someone competent these days? Note to self, buy the salon and replace all the workers to do the world a good justice—"

Her blonde hair, which had once been originally black, glistened in the sunlight.

"Well, what do you think?" she suddenly asked. The man, only to a few years older than her, averted his gaze from her shiny blonde hair and connected his eyes with her.

"Yeah, sounds great," he robotically said.

She narrowed her eyes at him, calling it total bullshit, before deciding to let it go. She went on.

The man kept finding himself distracted by her glistening, glossy, shiny, perfect blonde hair. He was so close to her that he could touch it if he wanted. If only he could reach out and feel the strands run through his fingers—

His fingers twitched, but his arm stayed steadfast at his side. The man's face grimaced, and a bead of sweat trailed down his face. His fingers twitched again, but his arm still didn't move. His fingers twitched twice more, before clenching into a tight fists. The man gritted his teeth, annoyance and frustration taking over his pained expression.

I just want to be able to touch her at least once, dammit! It's not fair! This is just torture at this point! I at least deserve to get something out of being stuck with her several times! I am a god! Why am I so helpless? It's pathetic and a disgrace to my title!

As the man quietly seethed and glared at the blonde hair as the girl's mouth aimlessly moved, he saw something strange— from his peripheral vision, he saw a streak flash across the sky.

What the—?

His attention jolted to the streak in the sky. It zoomed by so fast he might not have noticed it if he wasn't deliberately looking at it.

Suddenly, he felt a sheer force of power, strong enough to make him tremble and almost enough to make him fall to his knees. He felt his very soul, his very core, resonate with the strange power. His soul greeted and welcomed the anomaly with such familiarity, as if they were two long lost separated halves that had finally united back together.

His lips parted, his eyes widened. He looked to be in complete disbelief as recognition flashed in his eyes.

"—ai. Tai! Hey! Hello? Earth to Tai!"

The man blinked, not realizing he had been staring into the distance, completely unmoving. He adjusted his glasses and pushed them up his nose, as they had slightly gone out of place.

The blonde haired girl's annoyed expression suddenly faded and was replaced with concern. "Are you feeling all right? You look like you just saw a ghost."

The man named Tai wanted nothing more than to tell her everything, to relieve himself of the burden, but it was impossible. And even if he could, he wasn't sure if he should. She would think he had finally lost any sanity he had left— not that he had much to begin with in the first place.