2.9

*unedited*

The unit commander, a man who was reaching his middle ages, stood before the imperial army. It has been weeks since he last saw his wife and two children. He was exhausted, all of his duties putting a toll on him. So when the Emperor asked him to do yet another favor, the idea alone made him even more ghastly looking as the burden added to his total.

He held out the paper the Emperor's bodyguard, Chen Bao, had given him. Licking his dry lips and clearing his throat, even though his voice still sounded raspy and hoarse, said, "His Imperial Majesty, the Emperor, hereby decrees that Fan Jiahao be promoted to garrison commander."

Fan Jiahao, who was preoccupied and disturbed by yesterday night's events, stood up straight at the mention of his name. When the words fully registered, he didn't immediately walk in front to accept the new position. He was confused: didn't the Emperor hate him? Why would he be promoted?

"This isn't about the Emperor, it's about you and me. You want to be promoted, and I want to be a poet."

Fan Jiahao faintly recalled Wen Jingyi saying that. So this was his doing, but not of the Emperor's? He smiled bitterly. Though he was happy that Wen Jingyi would do this, he wished the Emperor actually recognized him.

But then he thought something else. How would he make the Emperor promote him? It was obviously because Wen Jingyi did something. Fan Jiahao panicked internally, Did they...is Jing'er selling his body to win the Emperor's favor! He shouldn't do that just for me! The Emperor shouldn't be even doing that!

"Fan Jiahao, do you accept the position or not? Step forth!" the unit commander yelled, his exhaustion lengthening with each passing minute. He assumed that the soldier was either too shocked or too arrogant.

Fan Jiahao snapped out of it. He might as well take the position and be grateful. If he's in a higher rank, it would be easier to have the Emperor, or the unit commander, to actually notice him. This way, he can get proper promotions that weren't out of simple favoring one over the other techniques.

Fan Jiahao walked his way to the unit commander. The man unsheathed his sword and placed it on Fan Jiahao's shoulder. When he lifted the sword up, Fan Jiahao went into a salute.

"Do you honor this position?" he raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, Unit Commander," Fan Jiahao said firmly, taking oath.

"I hereby promote this lowly soldier to garrison commander," he presented him a new sword and handed him new clothes. Fan Jiahao bowed deeply in thanks before being dismissed. When he went back, this time among the higher ranks, the unit commander turned to the troops, "The new schedule will be posted tomorrow at dusk. There will be information on new locations and new troops. Long live the Emperor!"

The troops bursted into the response, then scattering back to their quarters once dismissed.

(Quick note: I don't how promotions work, I couldn't find anything on it. Pretend this is how they work)

Fan Jiahao went back to his chambers, placing the new uniform on to complete his promotion and strapping his new sword to his waist. Sadly, he wouldn't have as much time as he used to with Wen Jingyi. Instead of being barely on the field, he's actually in charge of a small platoon at a facility somewhere out there. He would do his best to guard it and make sure his group is working everyday until he gets promoted again to a lieutenant. His main goal was to at least get to general, but second in command seems to be appealing now that promotion is possible.

He thought about going to Wen Jingyi's room, but something inside him told him that he shouldn't go in there in case he doesn't like what he sees.

*************
Indeed, he probably wouldn't. Sun Hui was still wrapped in the Emperor's arms.

When Sun Hui stirred and his eyes fluttered opened, sunlight blinded his eyes. He squinted, adjusting his eyesight. As he got up, he flinched at the rawness of his butt. It hurt a lot.

His torso was still secured by Du Qiang's arm, so he was basically stuck there until Du Qiang woke up.

Sun Hui sighed. His husband hadn't been rough with him since their first time. Was he going to, assuming he went to the next world as well, always be rough with him on their first time? It caught him off guard compared to the sweet times they made love. Even though Sun Hui did secretly want it rough, he wished he had mercy on his poor body.

Du Qiang stirred in his sleep when he felt a few tugs on his arm here and there. When he woke up, he saw Wen Jingyi already wide awake, sitting up with a thoughtful expression on his face.

Du Qiang suddenly came up with a mischievous idea. While Wen Jingyi was distracted and in deep thought, Du Qiang kissed him right on the lips.

It took a moment for Sun Hui to register that he was being kissed. When it did, he immediately went into some kind of shock mode.

Du Qiang pulled away, realizing his reaction, "Was that too soon? Did you not like it?"

Sun Hui chuckled at his frantic-ness. He was always frantic around him, especially around him, while he was strict and firm with others. It was like this in the last world, and it seems that it carried on into this world.

Sun Hui, when he realized that Du Qiang was so worried he didn't register his laughter, leaned towards the Emperor and sweetly kissed him on the lips in a loving gesture.

Du Qiang froze, much like Wen Jingyi had, and stared at him in disbelief.

"See? That's why I was shocked," Sun Hui whispered, placing a hand on the nook of Du Qiang's arm in a gentle yet seductive manner. "There's no need to worry. I enjoyed the kiss very much, Du Qiang."

"Besides," Sun Hui playfully bit his ear, "I believe we are far past that, aren't we Master?"

"I didn't once think you were such a temptress," Du Qiang breathed, pulling a strand of Wen Jingyi's hair and twirling it in his fingers.

"I picked up on a few things," Sun Hui joked, pulling away and giving the Emperor a nice smile. "Besides, I like playing around with you."

Du Qiang's eyes darkened, "Careful. I have duties to attend to, and if you continue this I might just never get to them."

Sun Hui gently pressed a hand on the Emperor's bare six packed ab chest, "Is that really so bad?"

Du Qiang grabbed his wrist, bending his head down to kiss the golden ring on Wen Jingyi's finger, "It is, but you're starting to make me believe it's not."

"I love you," Sun Hui whispered.

"I'll forever love you," Du Qiang said, wrapping his arms around Sun Hui. "You can't escape me, I'm never letting you go."

Sun Hui snuggled into his strong built chest, "You better. I would never forgive you if you leave me."

Now I really need to make sure Zhu Xiuying doesn't come anywhere near my man.

(this note is about army positions, if any one is interested)
A lieutenant is the next step up, but a detachment commander is technically the next position. But since Fan Jiahao won't be separating from the main army in any particular way (as that's what a detachment commander is in charge of—a separated troop) I'm skipping that. General is below second in command but the highest rank in a division, and they are in charge of training a troop and any operations in said troop. A second in command is like a Vice President, they take charge of the army if the unit commander isn't there. Since the unit commander is not getting replaced any time soon, second in command would be the highest rank for Fan Jiahao.
~Outcast