2.11

*unedited*

"Let's cut to the chase, Jing'er. You got me promoted through persuading the Emperor," Fan Jiahao said.

Sun Hui shrugged, "Alright."

"Alright"? Fan Jiahao frowned, "That's it?"

"Yes. I had the Emperor promote you. This way, you can get promoted easily through your skill next time. I just gave you a boost to get you started," Sun Hui shrugged his shoulders.

Fan Jiahao's eyebrow twitched, "How did you do it, though?"

Sun Hui stopped, deep in thought.

"Persuade him?" he asked. Fan Jiahao nodded. "I became his confidant and personal poet."

"The Emperor doesn't trust anyone," Fan Jiahao began, "unless under special circumstances."

"This again?" Sun Hui rolled his eyes. "Why should that matter, anyways? All you should care about is our friendship. If you keep doing this, I might not stay by your side any longer."

It was a threat, a warning. Hopefully, his words stuck in Fan Jiahao's head so that way he wouldn't do anything that could ruin Sun Hui's plans.

Indeed, the words threw Fan Jiahao off. But the context could've meant anything, and he took it as him being annoying by discussing a relationship that wasn't there, not going more and more towards Zhu Xiuying's plan.

Fan Jiahao shut up, but the beautiful maiden he saw that one day appeared in his mind. Not in like a romantic love way, but an enticing persuasive way. The more he thought about the Emperor, the more her plan entered his mind. Rebellion? Could he really do it? What if he lost his status in the army, though?

He, again, put her plan away. Wen Jingyi was close, what if he actually really started caring for the Emperor? If something bad happened, anything, Wen Jingyi could be devastated and never look at him again if he found out.

Then don't let him find out.

Fan Jiahao shook his head. Wen Jingyi would still be upset, and Fan Jiahao knew that seeing him like that would spike his concern and conscience to the roof. He would just find another way unless otherwise.

In the midst of their conversation, Chen Bao was sprinting over under the orders of the Emperor. Sun Hui smiled forcefully at Fan Jiahao and said, "Next time, we must talk about our lives and careers rather than dwelling on useless matters. Yes?"

Fan Jiahao gave a stiff nod. Ah, I completely forgot about the main purpose of meeting Jingyi'er! I wanted to tell him about my new promotion so far...and ask to read his poems. It's all my fault for bringing up the same old! Who knows when the next time will be able to come back.

"Xiao Wen—"

"I'm sorry, did he just call you...?" Fan Jiahao asked.

Sun Hui gave a nervous smile. The Emperor has insisted on having Chen Bao talk to him familiarly. When he had refused, Du Qiang proceeded in explaining thoroughly why he needed to do so. That was done all in front of Sun Hui, and he, being one who is easily humiliated, got embarrassed and blushed a deep red whenever Chen Bao called him that name.

"The Emperor insists on it," Sun Hui humorlessly chuckled. That asshole, I bet he did it on purpose knowing full well I'd get embarrassed!

"This is a private matter," Chen Bao narrowed his eyes at Fan Jiahao in scrutiny.

Fan Jiahao rolled his eyes, "I don't understand why you hate me so much. Shouldn't my promotion have at least changed your mind about me being 'lowly'?"

"Once a lowly rank, always a lowly rank," Chen Bao lifted his nose in disdain. "Your promotion means nothing to me."

"Judge much?" Fan Jiahao turned to Wen Jingyi. He leaned and whispered, "This is why I hate the royal inner circle."

Sun Hui caught sight of Chen Bao, who looked prepared to tell him the truth. He hurriedly shook his head, which made Chen Bao close his mouth.

That was close. If he finds out the truth, who knows what course this plot will take.

"Chen Bao, I'm sure it's okay if he sticks around. I'm assuming it's the festival that requests our presence?" Sun Hui raised an eyebrow.

Chen Bao swallowed, holding in his boiling anger, "Yes. The Emperor would've fetched you himself, but I told him he must attend to his duties."

That man...does he not realize that he's in charge of an entire country? He can't just let it rot for only me! He needs to prioritize...but then again, he would only say that I was his main priority, or something cheesy like that.

Sun Hui sighed, "Okay. Fan Jiahao?"

Fan Jiahao smiled softly yet sadly, "I have to prepare my troop. I can't go with you. But hopefully we can meet up at the festival."

He grabbed Wen Jingyi's hands, and shook them as a sign of departing friends.

Chen Bao's eyes widened as he misinterpreted it, Is Xiao Wen cheating on Du Qiang? Or is that low life taking him away? The Emperor would kill everyone!

When Fan Jiahao left, Chen Bao reached Wen Jingyi, "I advise you to stay away, Xiao Wen."

"Stay away? From Fan ge? Is this about your hidden grudge?" Sun Hui frowned.

"I mean, if the Emperor were to find out—"

"Wait, you think I'm cheating? Fan ge is just a friend. And if the Emperor does anything to him then he knows the consequence of that," he assured the loyal bodyguard. He added, "Is that it?"

"What do you mean?" Chen Bao frowned.

Sun Hui realized that Chen Bao was acting weird. It sounded like every word he had uttered sounded like a threat to stay away from Fan Jiahao. It almost reminded him of...

"Chen Bao, are you in love?" Sun Hui tilted his head in curiosity.

"In...love?" Chen Bao said, confused. He then realized that the boy was assuming he was in love with Fan Jiahao, "With that pathetic piece of shit? Not even in the after life."

Sun Hui gave a small smile, hiding his erupting chuckle, "My apologies. You just sound a lot like Du Qiang when someone touches me. You sounded really possessive over Fan Jiahao just now."

I...did? Chen Bao frowned, "That was completely unintentional! I'm just concerned for Du Qiang's actions."

He sounds a lot like me in the last world, when I kept denying that I was in love. Or like the original Wang Shuo, Sun Hui thought. Interesting.

If Fan Jiahao and Chen Bao get together, then the chances of Fan Jiahao siding with Zhu Xiuying's rebellion are lower than ever. I need to keep the original friendship between us, and the Emperor needs to stay alive. This will help a lot with my growing worries.

With that, Sun Hui decided to act as a matchmaker.

"You know, Chen Bao, it's okay to deny your feelings if you really want to. Just know that if you keep hiding, though, you'll grow to regret it," Sun Hui said empathetically. With a friendly pat on his shoulder, Sun Hui left Chen Bao to his thoughts.

Feelings? Regret it? What is he talking about? What does that mean? Chen Bao rubbed his neck, his brows furrowed in confusion. That boy is strange.

Sorry I didn't update last night. Homecoming dance was getting in the way of my thinking, and I was too tired when I got home to actually finish enough of the chapter to publish it.
Just to be clear (as I'm not sure if I did it well in the story), Sun Hui does NOT know about Fan Jiahao and Zhu Xiuying's get together. He is assuming that if Fan Jiahao was to hold enough hatred, then he would more than willingly side with Zhu Xiuying's cause. It's just paranoia, basically.
But if you guys know it already, then I guess that explanation is not needed and I did a good job XD
~Outcast