5.11

*unedited*

Sun Hui was reading a book that was reminiscent of one back in his world. He sat in the reading corner by the fireplace. Since the prison used to be a European medieval castle a wealthy Chinese man wanted to replicate and show off, the library was large, luxurious, and grand. It reminded him of the library straight from Disney's Beauty and the Beast. An old classic from where he is from.

Hou Feng was looming in front of him, his feet shoulder width apart and his shoulders squared as he slightly leaned forward to see what Sun Hui was reading. His nose twitched.

"A Greater Purpose? Isn't that a sappy..." Hou Feng trailed off as Sun Hui sent him a cold glare.

It wasn't sappy. A Greater Purpose was similar to Great Expectations. It was an old classic that still survived in his world. While it can be a love story, it wasn't really one. It was a book that came with great life lessons. It was rather cynical, really. Perhaps this version was more on the love story end but it still had the same elements. He loved reading books from different worlds to see the similarities and differences from his own. Too bad in this Earth, all the books were an alternative from their counterparts.

"Shouldn't you be overlooking everyone and not just me?" Sun Hui quirked an eyebrow.

Hou Feng lifted a shoulder in a shrug. "My duty as of now is to have you on twenty-four hour surveillance. Everything else comes second."

Translation: Everything else comes second to Sun Hui. It was flattering, but Hou Feng really needed to get his act together. This surveillance situation was turning into an excuse just to stalk him. He needed to focus on his prisoners as a warden, not just on Sun Hui.

Sighing, Sun Hui closed his book. "Feng, you already have given me a bunch more rights and luxuries than others. We may be lovers now, but you can't pick fav—"

"Did you just say we were lovers?" Despite having a cold, set-in-stone expression, Hou Feng's mouth broke into a large, boyish grin that enhanced his features and made him look charming. Sun Hui spotted a dimple on his right cheek.

"That's what you're focused on?" Sun Hui's cheeks went bright red, both out of exasperation and embarrassment.

Hou Feng closed his eyes and shook his head slightly, as if gathering himself. When he opened them again he was back to his stern self. "Why don't you read Chinese war tactic books instead? That would be more productive than reading fairy tales."

"It's not a fairy tale, and I read them because I don't have books like this back where I am from. War tactic books aren't my thing, they are yours," Sun Hui rolled his eyes. The Chinese war tactics in this world was different from his own, and Sun Hui found himself being slightly offended as he skimmed through them earlier. He felt like it was a disrespect to what had always learned to uphold, and a disrespect to his brother who ingrained it on him. Though, this was an alternate world from his own and he had to respect that some things would go against his own culture and morals. He had to treat it like a foreign country.

"Still, they could be useful for you to learn and put to use against enemies. I would hope to protect you and prevent that from happening, but it would do you some good to learn how to defend yourself in any case," Hou Feng said seriously. "Especially with what we are working with now. If we find the guy who is rightfully the culprit, he may get nasty in court and vengeful. It would be wise to get in the mindset."