Chapter Two | First World

[ 2 ]

The late ShuNing usually didn't venture far from his bedroom, so when the set of double doors creaked open, the odd servant passing by faltered in their steps. They would have thought, now of all times, the mongrel would remain hidden.

Fahren— or ShuNing, was well aware of the acid tongues that belonged to the servants that leeched off his title. The herd off bickering and spiteful women considered themselves blessed to have such an easy job. They lounged around all day, treating themselves to the pantry of food that ShuWeng helped cultivate for her own worst-case-scenario.

With ShuNing's fragile state, he sluggardly made his way down the barren corridor. He kept one hand against the solid dusty wall, disturbing it as he moved. His knees shook with every step, warning him to stop. ShuNing cursed the weakened state, reluctantly wondering how it was even possible he had frequent bed-partners.

A servant appeared at the other end of the hall, grinding to an immediate halt when she spotted ShuNing coming in her direction. Instead of acting as any decent servant would, she turned up her nose and walked off without any acknowledgement.

ShuNing's hand clenched on the wall, his hot rage seemingly too strong for his current state. Now wasn't their turn, he lamented. But he would make sure they each received a punishment befitting of their crimes.

After reaching the very end of the hall, feeling like he had accomplished something monumental, ShuNing turned his attention to the room where the sound was emanating from. Dripping with sweat, he didn't stop, because he was confident that he wouldn't be able to get his legs moving if he did.

The blissfully ignorant, cackling, women sat comfortably in the main reception area. The place that ShuWeng spent most of her time and effort to make look as appealing as could be. Servants desecrated her memory. Not that ShuNing cared, it just irked him because technically this property was now his, as ShuWeng no longer had a head.

Shuffling his feet into the room, he came to a halt. It took a few seconds before the whole room gave him their undivided attention. Although aware that ShuNing's reputation was like that of a dogs, the younger servants still appeared minutely hesitant when they saw their Young Master's unusual presence in the archway. As for the elder women, who ShuNing could identify as the most malevolent of the group, sneered in his direction.

As if he were the servant imposing on them.

"What is the girl called?" His voice was scratchy, his throat parched.

The group looked to one another. One of the elderly servants believed she was the most entitled to speak. "Which girl? You should be more specific, Little Master. The one from last week? The one before that? Or the one you raped?" Her voice sharp, pierced everyone around, except for the one it was intended for.

Picturing this woman's tortured expression, that he promised himself he would see in the near future, ShuNing was able to cast aside her harsh words. He was silent, his gaze fixed onto her, waiting expectantly.

"ChuntaoMei" One of the younger women spoke up, unable to cope with the insufferable silence.

ShuNing turned his attention to her, repeating the name over and over in his head until it sank in. He said nothing else as he turned and slowly made his way out of the room. In his passing, he heard the loud whispers that likely originated from the older few.

"Hasn't he tortured her enough?"

"Is he going to beg for forgiveness? Disgusting."

"How repulsive."

ShuNing didn't head back to his room immediately, instead he made his way to the pantry. Although low on stock, it would be enough for now. He couldn't trust that the servants wouldn't spit in his food, or worse. He was well aware of the popularity of poison in this world, especially those entwined in Xe Wife's web.