Chapter One Hundred & Thirty-Six | Fourth World

[ 136 ]

It didn't take a genius to figure out when someone was talking about them. And in this case, whatever was written on that parchment that never left Falcon's grasp, likely mentioned Finch's name.

He probably wouldn't have noticed so quickly if certain leaders didn't make it painfully obvious by avoiding him like the plague.

The man who had delivered the message was taken away to be questioned as well as inspected by the old man who claimed himself to be the equivalent of the chief of medicine. As for the spectators left behind, some were instructed to head to Fyre's home so they could have a meeting, while the others were dismissed. Finch was part of the latter group, and his expression revealed his response to that.

As Fyre and Falcon intended to leave, a little Finch popped up in front of them. Unlike the cute bird which usually kept out of the way and only resurfaced to find food, this Finch was unrelenting and definitely not going to let a certain bird of prey escape so easily.

"Now isn't the time," Falcon shook his head and intended to walk away when Finch moved as he did, ensuring he intercepted him every time. There was a tense moment between the pair as they heatedly stared at one another. No one would have imagined it was the same pair who had been peacefully sleeping in each other's arms the night before.

Fyre looked between them, unsure of what position to take. He knew the situation with the parchment must take precedence, but knowing how crucial his nephew's relationship is with the spirited young man, he couldn't bring himself to spare a word.

"I'm going to find out sooner or later, so you might as well tell me what's written on there." Finch said in a way that could have come across as rude. No one spoke to either Falcon nor Fyre in such a manner, but as time was of the essence, Finch couldn't afford such luxuries of playing a reserved character who took everything in his stride.

Falcon's frown grew deeper, "What makes you think you're important enough to know?" He looked down at the smaller man, but once again underestimated the pure stubbornness of the man he questioned.

"If I'm not important, then why is my name mentioned on that parchment?"

There it was, a flicker. A moment's panic which Falcon had made the error of letting slip. His lips which were previously pressed hard into a thin line, parted in surprise and then to ask how he knew. But they closed without ever saying a word. Which is when his uncle chimed in, intending to save him from being savaged by the little bird.

"Falcon is only trying to protect you, young one. Don't be too be angry with him." Fyre set a hand on his nephew's broad shoulder in slight encouragement as he offered a smile to the both of them. "But you're right, Finch, you are mentioned and you have the right to know what is written on the parchment. So follow us to the gathering and you can read it there. I don't want anyone else finding out just yet."

Whilst Finch was happy, it was clear someone else was not. But before Fyre could change his mind they moved quickly in the direction of the shelter set aside from the rest of the living areas. A handful of individuals were standing outside, prepared to go inside when their leaders arrived. Some shot a questioning glance towards the odd one out, the pretty young thing who you found yourself either loving to hate or hating to love.

Once inside the group quickly took a seat and looked expectantly towards the one who held the parchment firmly in his grasp. Falcon, who was still disagreeing with Finch's presence, had no other option but to hand it over to Fyre.

"As you all suspect, yes this is a message from Hawk." Heavy breaths were taken and looks shared amongst warriors. Fyre continued, "Judging by the state of the man who brought us this message, they aren't certain about our location. Which is of course, extremely beneficial to us. Even if they now know we reside in the forest, there are countless ways they can get lost and give us the upper-hand. But that's for later, right now we need to discuss what Hawk has requested of us."