Chapter Eleven | First World

[ 11 ]

Old Tengfei had been in touch. He wasn't having any success in finding what such poison was called, but he was able to, through the report ShuNing sent him on the children, analyse the potency, effects and timescale of the toxin.

That's why ShuNing found himself in the jade-level library. His current time was divided by either practising his distillation of herbs, creating various medicines that were used to help the eight poisoned children, or wrapped up in thick books trying to find out any information about popular yet life-threatening elixirs. Which was limited due to the level of the library.

From what Tengfei told him, the poison's toxicity was highly dependant on how much is given to the target. Himself, for example, Tengfei suspects he was given this poison in fragments over a few years which slowly withered away at his immune system. Because of how small the dosage was, it went by undetectable if you weren't aware of its presence.

As for the children, from the vial that the expert medicinal and herbal cultivator inspected, Tengfei believes that it was the same in terms of little and often before whoever giving the orders became impatient, and ordered for the dosage to be increased. Because of that, it resulted in the quick crash of physical health from the children.

This confused ShuNing more so, as he knew it was XeWife that was pulling the strings- but what was there for her to fear? Though she was married to a highly unpredictable man, who showed her no favouritism, she still maintained a solid status within the Clan. The woman was smart, deadly..but for some reason she was beginning to act rashly. She appeared almost desperate to cull the illegitimate children of XeLeader.

Perhaps her position was wavering more than she wished people to know.

Book after book was closed and pushed to the side, words that brought him no closer to figuring out what it was killing the innocents. Though Tengfei guaranteed that he had years to live as he hadn't taken the poison lately, he couldn't say the same for those who were teetering on the edge.

This applied an abundance of pressure onto ShuNing's shoulders. More than he had ever experienced before, in this world and in his original. Looking back, he lamented how he look his easy-going life for granted. Never had he been presented with such challenges. His life, in actuality, couldn't be any further from what the victim Shu Ning had to live.

For one, Fahren's mother cherished him. He was the youngest of three sons, his older brothers easily outshining him in every aspect. The stereotype of the third child getting away with everything couldn't have been more prominent in his family. Whilst his brothers welcomed the pressures of society, utilising it to drive them onwards, Fahren decidedly battered it away and moved at his own pace.

This came with a price, as he was deemed lazy by his siblings who thought him a nuisance and over the years that rift increased. Much to their mothers grief.

The enchanting youth who sat in front of a desk within the jade-level library, felt his chest tighten as his thoughts tumbled down the route of reminiscing. Though he wasn't an overly-emotional person, they were acute when it came to his family. He missed them.

No doubt if his brothers were here, they would have mapped everything out to the finest details. It was likely their SpiritCore's would be elemental-cultivator level.

Snapping out of it, before he got lost in depression, ShuNing rubbed his temples before standing up to walk around the library. This would be the third time he had looped around but he shook that knowledge away and acted as if this were his first glance. Taking in each books titles, even some that he had to wipe the dust off of, he found himself walking up the stairs.